Anyone want to see my bulls?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I had my brother over taking photos yesterday and got this great shot of our guys. This is a copyrighted photo so don't reproduce please.
The front two are "home bred" out of my herd sire, the back one is one of my future herd sires a VRD son.
20045268441951850609885.jpg

Gina D (ArabianFancy)
Dupree Angus

They are 16-20 months old.
Do you guys think we are on the right track? We are selling bulls to local beef producers for use on crossbred cows.
Truthfully, the front two bulls are the last two bulls in the sale pen. We have already sold the really good looking ones but these are maturing a little late.
I forgot to say that my herd sire ( their sire) is a Basin Max 602c son out of a Rito 2100 daughter.
Thanks!
Gina

you can sure tell that back one is a VRD son. I don't see much wrong with your front two bulls. The one is a little potbellied and weak muscled but I'll guess he's the youngest of the bunch too.

What do you think of VRD sons as a whole? I really liked the look of him but I liked the Lucys' Boy bull we bought better. He is over visiting the heifers.
The VRD will go on bigger cows only. I don't like the BW epd on him for heifers. The 3 rd bull has a 5.6 BW epd so I am going to be careful who I sell him to as well.
Funny thing my 602c son had a 2.6 BW epd but throws calves from 65-124 ( the 124 was out of a HUGE cow 1800lbs +!). His bull calves out of big cows on normal pasture, no rye grass, are weighing 85+
Gina Dupree
Dupree Angus.

I don't really like the VRD sons. They seem too shallow and I have a rule that a bull with a bw EPD of over 2 won't be on the place. If I can't use a bull on heifers I won't use him on cows. Simple as that. I really like the Lucy Boy bull we have, we kept 6 little bulls out of him to replace old bulls and these little guys are great.

Man yeah!!
It took hours of begging and pleading and............................ well, we were riding along in the golf cart ( we don't play golf we have 6 poultry houses and run back and forth with the golf cart) after trying to get photos of them and not having much luck. I looked over, slammed on the brakes and yelled SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT!!! It was a pure accident!
These things NEVER happen when there is a camera around!!
Gina

A couple of our bulls. Couldn't get them to line up as nice as yours

straws.jpg

dun

Never had one get out yet. And they only eat 20 bucks worth of liquid nitrogen every 4 months or so. There are another 7-8 bulls in the same "pasture", but we haven't had them out yet this year.

dun

Craig-TX":2ud28is3 said:
Those don't look like bulls to me. How often do they tear up the fence and get out?

Craig-TX

Where is a good AI school and what kind of setup cost are involved? I'm interested in learning but AI techs are few and far inbetween in this part of the country.

There is a private school that does a good job, not sure where it is. But if you contact ABS, Slect Sires or GENEX they may have a school planned somewhere near you.

http://www.absglobal.com/
http://www.crinet.com/
http://www.selectsires.com/

The primary problem that will need to be addressed is semen storage. You will either need to locate someone that will allow you space in their tank or you will need to get one of your own. I can't stress enough the need to investigate how you'll get your tank filled with LN2. I had to drive 8 hours roundtrip in one area we were in. So check that out first. Tanks can run from 400 and up for new or re-certified tanks. You may be able to get one cheaper at a sale, but no gaurantee on how good it is.
Other then the tank, I'm just guessing, but $100-150 bucks should cover everything else. Thawing thermos, semen tweezers, straw cutter, gloves, thermometer, sheathes and gun, lubricant, paper towels, and talcum powder for the inside of the gloves on sweaty days. You can store everything in tool box. A sheathe storage tube is also handy as well as an extra gun.

dun

J Baxter":1cfthkoj said:
Where is a good AI school and what kind of setup cost are involved? I'm interested in learning but AI techs are few and far inbetween in this part of the country.

Hey.. how do ya'll get pictures on your posts???

This could be dangerous!

Dun.. as usual, you have made me laugh on a dreary Friday when I have to work all weekend! :)

ArabianFancy(GinaD)":1b0rnlqf said:
Man yeah!!
It took hours of begging and pleading and............................ well, we were riding along in the golf cart ( we don't play golf we have 6 poultry houses and run back and forth with the golf cart) after trying to get photos of them and not having much luck. I looked over, slammed on the brakes and yelled SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT!!! It was a pure accident!
These things NEVER happen when there is a camera around!!
Gina
I believe you, but I accidentally took a picture with 10 bulls lined up, I will look for it and try to show it

TheBullLady":guj69y0t said:
Hey.. how do ya'll get pictures on your posts???

This could be dangerous!

Dun.. as usual, you have made me laugh on a dreary Friday when I have to work all weekend! :)

your pics have to be stored on a public server. your internet provider may give you space with your monthly fee so you might want to check w/them. some of us have been using http://www.photobucket.com which is a free site that lets you file share pics.

Latest posts