Anyone want a good laugh???

Help Support CattleToday:

So you sell a new (or very young) calf from $250-$500. How can you be happy with that when it is all the money the cow will bring in
to the operation for a year. One is either faced with keeping the cow for another year, assuming she is healthy, selling her short and
perhaps out of condition but certainly not fat after calving or feeding her to a more saleable condition.
I believe a cow should be producing her value (within the limitations of the market) each year or be gone.
The saving grace is not having to be responsible for what other people do or think.
I don't think anyone here is talking about pulling good healthy calves off of good healthy cows. I'm going to guess that they're are just happy getting good money for something they would otherwise have to bottle feed

So you sell a new (or very young) calf from $250-$500. How can you be happy with that when it is all the money the cow will bring in
to the operation for a year. One is either faced with keeping the cow for another year, assuming she is healthy, selling her short and
perhaps out of condition but certainly not fat after calving or feeding her to a more saleable condition.
I believe a cow should be producing her value (within the limitations of the market) each year or be gone.
The saving grace is not having to be responsible for what other people do or think.

Nothing unusual to see small calves pulled off old cows here at the sale barns when they go through.

Let's say you wean calves in November and calve in March, and you have a cow you're not sending to pasture next year. For 130ish days at around $1.5 a day I can add a lot of weight to the cow plus sell a calf off of. So roughly $200 to get more cow and a calf to sell. Different places will be different.

People just came and bought two calves. $700 cash money. I had a couple neighbors yesterday and this morning that said if these people needed more that they had calves available. Even offered to give me a pretty nice commission if I could sell them for that money. Cows are headed to the hills nobody needs the graft calves they have been holding.

Took a couple kill cows and the failed graft calf to the sale. I got what i was expecting for the cows. The calf only brought $100. I should have kept him and run an ad on Craigslist. He was older, bigger and a better calf than those two that I sold for $350 each. Oh well, $800 for 3 calves the average works out pretty good.

Latest posts