Anyone using .....

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
BovaZyme in feed. Was at a meeting last night and they had this product. They did a little experiment for us and it was pretty interesting. Just wondering if anyone here has tried it.

I don't know much about it. Guy showed it to us last night. It appears to be a powdered dose of probiotics of some sort that helps the cow with its digestion. You can mix it with feed or with mineral. Ideally each cow is supposed to get 0.1 lb per day. The little experiment the guy did for us was to fill cups of oatmeal with water and water and the additive. By the end of the meeting the oatmeal with the stuff in it looked like milk and the test looked like swollen oatmeal. According to them and a few of the local people who use this in their stocker operations say that this will reduce the heat generated by a cows digestion and make them go back to feed about 1 1/2 hours sooner than those that do not. Gains are consistently 1/2 lb per day better than those not treated. Also, several people said they felt it shortened the time it took to straighten out a sale barn calf. Two people also said they saw good results using it in summer stockering as the cow is not as hot.

Sounded interesting anyway. I was just wondering if anyone here had any experience with it.

Jogeephus":195e1o0x said:
I don't know much about it. Guy showed it to us last night. It appears to be a powdered dose of probiotics of some sort that helps the cow with its digestion. You can mix it with feed or with mineral. Ideally each cow is supposed to get 0.1 lb per day. The little experiment the guy did for us was to fill cups of oatmeal with water and water and the additive. By the end of the meeting the oatmeal with the stuff in it looked like milk and the test looked like swollen oatmeal. According to them and a few of the local people who use this in their stocker operations say that this will reduce the heat generated by a cows digestion and make them go back to feed about 1 1/2 hours sooner than those that do not. Gains are consistently 1/2 lb per day better than those not treated. Also, several people said they felt it shortened the time it took to straighten out a sale barn calf. Two people also said they saw good results using it in summer stockering as the cow is not as hot.

Sounded interesting anyway. I was just wondering if anyone here had any experience with it.

Seen it on the cattle show here while back. Seemed like a gimmic to me.

Jogeephus":2zpd8le0 said:
That's it. Heard anything about it? good/bad

There have been some studies done on it and it does actually work. You might not get the gains etc. in the claims but to make a long story short "it works". It sounds somewhat like Amaferm made by Biozyme Corp. Cost per head per day on this product was quoted at $.12 and this is using an inclusion rate of 2.5 grams per head per day so is a little pricey. I have used the Amaferm product and had good results.

I know several folks who are going to try it in their stocker operations so, as always, I'll sit on the fence and see what they think since I'm not much of a pioneer. Sounds reasonable though.

Don't know about that exact product, but if it's like other probiotics, it increases the amount of little bugs in their stomach. The more they have, the faster and better they can digest food. It's like building a barn. The amish know that the more people you have, the faster it gets done. I think we would all do good by increasing the amount of probiotics in our livestock's feed as well as our own food. Acidophilus milk and yogurt are two good products.

brandonm_13":1jq5wben said:
Don't know about that exact product, but if it's like other probiotics, it increases the amount of little bugs in their stomach. The more they have, the faster and better they can digest food. It's like building a barn. The amish know that the more people you have, the faster it gets done. I think we would all do good by increasing the amount of probiotics in our livestock's feed as well as our own food. Acidophilus milk and yogurt are two good products.

That's kinda what I'm thinking and why I think it might be worthwhile. The oatmeal experiment they did was pretty interesting.

Lacto Sacc is a product manufactured by Alltech and has a proven track record...promotes healthy gut flora and aids in digestion....combination of Lactobacillus acidophilus, Steptococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Aspergillus oryzae extract, and dried A. niger extract, dried Bacillus and subtilis extract. Costs about $2.50 per pound and fed at about 2-2.5 lbs. per ton of feed. Great ingredient.

Bovazyme is a blend of several different enzymes that aid in the digestion of fiber in ruminants. I have used the product pretty much from its inception. You do see improved performance in daily milk production and average daily gains. This is because the fiber that previously passed through the animal undigested is now being broken down allowing more nutrition to be utilized as the feed passes through the animal. There are many field trials that have proven it works. In addition to the improved production performance and in my mind more importantly it makes the animal work easier reducing the amount of stress and in turn maintaining a healthier animal. The savings in meds pay for the Bovazyme alone. The production is an added benefit.

I havn't done any homework on the matter but just using what I do think I understand, I'm wondering what heat stresses it would put on the animal this time of the year?

Logic tells me if you increase digestion you also increase heat made by the process. Now if you can increase the bugs aiding in digestion and keep the bugs alive then feed less but make get more out of what you feed, maybe that would work.

Southern Yankee":15rq99vt said:
Bovazyme is a blend of several different enzymes that aid in the digestion of fiber in ruminants. I have used the product pretty much from its inception. You do see improved performance in daily milk production and average daily gains. This is because the fiber that previously passed through the animal undigested is now being broken down allowing more nutrition to be utilized as the feed passes through the animal. There are many field trials that have proven it works. In addition to the improved production performance and in my mind more importantly it makes the animal work easier reducing the amount of stress and in turn maintaining a healthier animal. The savings in meds pay for the Bovazyme alone. The production is an added benefit.

What meds are you talking about???

1982vett":3p013e7e said:
I havn't done any homework on the matter but just using what I do think I understand, I'm wondering what heat stresses it would put on the animal this time of the year?

Logic tells me if you increase digestion you also increase heat made by the process. Now if you can increase the bugs aiding in digestion and keep the bugs alive then feed less but make get more out of what you feed, maybe that would work.

Exactly....cows will automatically cut down on their eating during hot times so you compensate by increasing quality of feed if possible. Most of graze only during this time of the year so she gets what she gets....just make plenty of shade and water available.

I manage a herd of jersey dairy cattle. Prior to using bovazyme we experienced a higher than expected number of cows having metabolic issues. Especially during the summertime. Milk fever, ketosis, retained placentas, and fewer cases of mastitis were the main issues. These all cost a lot in treatment administration as well as lost production and increased cull rates. Now I dont believe nor expect you to believe that bovazyme is the only thing that addresses these issues. However I am convinced it plays a major part. Bovazyme denses up the diet naturally. The enzymes unleash nutrition allowing the cow to function with a lot less stress. Then during times of added stress: calving, summer heat, humidity, etc. The cow doesn't "redline".

I have personally witnessed a decrease in health issues in several stocker calf operations. In particular over the time they are being transitioned.

The best testimony is for you to try it yourself. Be sure to follow the instruction of the professionals who distribute it. The key to success is ensuring adequate consumption which starts at figuring daily intakes accurately with proper inclusion rates.

This product is being marketed by a couple of good guys who use the product and like the results they have received so much that they want to see others experience the same thing.

This product is being marketed by a couple of good guys who use the product and like the results they have received so much that they want to see others experience the same thing.

If I were selling it I certainly would "like the results". Milk fever, ketosis, retained placentas, and fewer cases of mastitis ordinarily can be eliminated or greatly reduced with a top notch "dry cow" program and good housekeeping and proper milking procedures. Amaferm will do as much or more and cost about 2/3 as much. It to has a huge amount of research and trials behind it and is sold worldwide. And no, I don't work for Biozyme. :lol2:

Latest posts