Anyone using Wye Angus Genetics?

Help Support CattleToday:

MrBilly

Reaction score
If so , have you slaughtered any calves and what kind of carcass did you find? What wt. did you slaughter at, what age, how much marbling was their, ribeye size and retail product. Was it tender? How did it taste?

Thanks.

Billy

Do a search for Larry Sansom on this board. He raises Wye grassfed cattle.
http://www.angusproductions.com/vip_ope ... ml?Rid=414
The above link is for Evergreen angus who raise Wye's in MN, there is also a Cotton, Doyle, and Hyland Angus in SD. I believe John Cotton is in Volga,SD. You should be able to get all your questions answered somewhere here.

I use a son of the old Fabron of Wye - yes he was born in1957, but Wye had the "big cattle" back before big was popular, ton bulls, etc. Just had our bull Genetested - 4 stars out of 4 stars for Tenderness. Exactly what I want for my direct marketed, grass finished beef. If interested in Wye cattle - would suggest the Octoraro Angus sale in PA this Nov 12. The 1960 era EPD's should not concern you - the cattle will perform and the heifers are top enders!! $EN runs in the +30 range on the old Wye bulls. His 5 generation pedigree is on my web site with comments and pictures. Fabron 454

Thanks Larry.

Since at this time we do NOT sell Grass-fed, but grain fed, do you know of anyone who has fed grain to these Wye cattle and then slaughtered them? Yes, being an Angus breeder we are used to using the EPDs and it is hard to visualize what the meat might look like when one looks at the ultrasounds of the Wye cattle. Our customers want mid choice grain fed meat, so I need to know how they turn out? I realize there is much more to these wonderful looking cattle than choice meat, but all the other stuff is a given.

Billy

Any cattle will perform on grain - not all will perform on grass. They will perform for you - as they did back in the 60's and 70's when Wye was the operation everyone went to for growth and performance as they had the 1800 - 2100 lb bulls. Fabron was a 2065 lb mature bull. They were fed grain and linear measurements were taken and compared to the carcass info back before this type of thing was ever thought of. The cattle will typically mature earlier than some of the today's cattle and will finish on less high energy feed. we have just discovered that these heavy muscled cattle are great forage type cattle. Ed Draper with Wye has seen the Genestar data on my bull and he commented that they get several 2 and 3 star bulls - but 4 stars are harder to get on Tenderness. I get calls from across the nation wanting Wye influence blood in bulls and heifers- it must be working or we wouldn't be getting the demand for this type of cattle - there are very few that use them forage only - most are like you and feed grain.

We had a cow AI'd to Umg Action of Wye in Sep02, calved in Jun02 and we had the beef processed in Sep02 (was a little less than 15 months old). The cow is a cross bred cow 1/2 Angus and has either some Simmi or Hereford in her and produces a good calf.

We creep feed and he had been on full feed about 60 days (corn). The hanging weight was 709lbs, the finished product was approximately 490lbs, I weight the meat when I bring it home.

We have been feeding cattle about 5 years and I think the meat was the best I've had, it was tender and tasty . He was younger than we usually slaughtered, so alittle smaller. The marbling was good, but he was a little leaner because we did not full feed him as long. We do not get any measurements from the processor, but I can tell you I got 28lbs, 5 oz of Rib Steak (bone in).

donna

Latest posts