Anyone using or used Mix 30

Help Support CattleToday:

Used it for a few years ubtil the local distributor quit. Good product, easy to feed cattle came through winter in better condition on P poor hay. Biggest drawback is having to fish the dead birds, coons, possums out of it. We just fed it in open 100 gallon water tanks.

neighbor fed one or 2 tanks of it and that was it.

i think they just stood around sucking it down.

We used several years ago till we got a batch that was not mixed correctly. They had to come and get it out of licks because nothing would touch it .

I use it. I buy it by the semi load. Less expensive. It has to be mixed well before putting into roller tanks. I have a pump that circulates for 30 minutes or so then I fill a 250 gallon tote, pick it up with my skid loader and go fill tanks. My dealer told me I can dilute it up to 30% with water. It's 32% protein. It won't freeze. To control consumption I have tied the roller wheels together if I don't dilute with water. It can also be dumped in open topped tanks or tubs. It's awfully messy and a new phone is ruined if it falls out of your pocket into the tank....just sayin. I've used Loomix but found the cattle went backwards quickly once I stopped using it and it is way too expensive.

I would add that a person has to pencil the cost on Mix 30. When I bought the semi load, alfalfa was $275+ a ton and the Mix 30 was sure the more affordable protein source.

Chocolate Cow":7gyvninl said:
I would add that a person has to pencil the cost on Mix 30. When I bought the semi load, alfalfa was $275+ a ton and the Mix 30 was sure the more affordable protein source.
Talked to a guy in KY who said that leaving it out all summer dropped his pink eye problem to nothing and that first calf heifers did obviously better. I just got a price at $340/ton and might trial the first calf heifers on a limit feed basis just to see how it works and to spend money to make money type situation. Thanks.

Chocolate Cow":31xiogfu said:
I use it. I buy it by the semi load. Less expensive. It has to be mixed well before putting into roller tanks. I have a pump that circulates for 30 minutes or so then I fill a 250 gallon tote, pick it up with my skid loader and go fill tanks. My dealer told me I can dilute it up to 30% with water. It's 32% protein. It won't freeze. To control consumption I have tied the roller wheels together if I don't dilute with water. It can also be dumped in open topped tanks or tubs. It's awfully messy and a new phone is ruined if it falls out of your pocket into the tank....just sayin. I've used Loomix but found the cattle went backwards quickly once I stopped using it and it is way too expensive.

I couldn't find a 32% product on their web page the best I found was 16%, maybe I over looked something,

Allenw":12fevwpb said:
I couldn't find a 32% product on their web page the best I found was 16%, maybe I over looked something,
It is only 16% protein. But it isn;t a protein supplement it's an energy supplement

I looked at their site also and it does say 16%. My dealer told me I could cut it by 1/3 with water to make it go farther. I'll ask again if he still recommends it. I've done it all along with the cows never appearing to be shorted. :hide:

I was just curious and looked to see what it was. It would be similar to feeding 20% cubes.

Dogs and Cows":dncdyxue said:
rollinhills":dncdyxue said:
We used it for 3yrs and it really helped, they will really go after it when you first put it out but they seem to back off after a while. only reason we're not using it now, we are feeding distillers slop, its free just have to haul it.

We are feeding the distillers slop here as well. The cattle really like it. I was worried at first about them eating too much...but they seem to limit themselves pretty well and rotate with the hay. Ours is free as well...from a bourbon distiller. I have also noticed lower hay intake...which may be a good side effect. How are you feeding? In tubs?

Thanks,

Yes we just dump it out and let them have it. We put out high calcium mineral and sodium bicarbonate free choice. Ours comes from a bourbon distillery also. We fattened some slaughter calves on it may be just a coincidence but the beef is extra tender, going to do the same this year so maybe that will tell the tale.

Tim

We don't use it all the time but it's sure nice to have to supplement with in the winter. We pay $300 a ton in Central Texas. They definitely consume less of it after they get used to it.

Dogs and Cows":1970n8v6 said:
rollinhills":1970n8v6 said:
We used it for 3yrs and it really helped, they will really go after it when you first put it out but they seem to back off after a while. only reason we're not using it now, we are feeding distillers slop, its free just have to haul it.

We are feeding the distillers slop here as well. The cattle really like it. I was worried at first about them eating too much...but they seem to limit themselves pretty well and rotate with the hay. Ours is free as well...from a bourbon distiller. I have also noticed lower hay intake...which may be a good side effect. How are you feeding? In tubs?

Thanks,

Tim
What is "Distillers slop"? I have access to CCDS (or CDS), is this the same thing?

Latest posts