Anyone use the Maine Anjou bull 'Jim Dandy'

Help Support CattleToday:

aussie_cowgirl

Reaction score
He looks like a good type. I'd be interested to see if anyone has any experience with him or his progeny. I've been looking for semen from Fullblood Maine Anjous and man it is hard :cry2:
JimDandybull.jpg

aussie_cowgirl":1i3xkjgc said:
He looks like a good type. I'd be interested to see if anyone has any experience with him or his progeny. I've been looking for semen from Fullblood Maine Anjous and man it is hard :cry2:
JimDandybull.jpg

SInce he's not black I doubt very many Maine breeders in this country have used him.

Keren":2chj3zxt said:
I like the looks of him, might go well over a fullblood heifer :D

What do you think he weighs? We went to a Maine sale several years ago. They still had some red and white ones. Man, those were big cattle. :eek:

Keren":206mjszv said:
No idea frankie, but aussie will be using him via AI. I've always had a soft spot for fullblood Maines (aussie watch out I might just steal that heifer if you get her) and yes they are huge, gorgeous cattle.

Nooooo lol. You can come look at her though. And maybe buy a bull :p I'm trying to find some photos of when we had them. Seriously we bred the most stunning heifer. I'd be worried that the blacks wouldn't have the same temperment and maternal traits like the FB's.

They do end up being big, big cattle. Our 4+ year old girls would have been about 6ft at the shoulders. Bulls about the same. I think people forget they come from france so they carry the same badge as charolais, blonde etc.

I haven't used him but am planning on using him in the near future. I have heard that calves from his sire (Stud Muffin) have very good performance. There aren't many fullblood breeders here, but most of the black Maines are just as maternal and quiet as the fullbloods.

mule_skinner":1qcftv7o said:
I haven't used him but am planning on using him in the near future. I have heard that calves from his sire (Stud Muffin) have very good performance. There aren't many fullblood breeders here, but most of the black Maines are just as maternal and quiet as the fullbloods.

To quote someone (I cant remember who):

Ah Australia, where men are men, women are women, and cattle breeds can be distinguished w/o DNA testing ...

So yeah, you arent likely to see black maines in the show ring here, anytime soon :)

Muleskinner, do you have blacks or FBs or both? Just curious, I'd love to see some pics.

has anybody found a use for Maine-Anjou cattle in the real cattle world?

aussie_cowgirl":2024xkzi said:
JimDandybull.jpg

This wouldn't have anything to do with a certain scholarship at the heifer show would it aussie? :cboy:

I have a mostly crossbred herd made up of Angus Maine crosses with a little Hereford and Simmental in the mix too. I've been slowly turning it over to purebred cows. They are mostly black with a couple red cows, one of which is a fullblood. There would be more if she would stop having bull calves! I do have some pictures, I'll see if I can figure out how to post them later.

Killala":2nujqn7a said:
aussie_cowgirl":2nujqn7a said:
JimDandybull.jpg

This wouldn't have anything to do with a certain scholarship at the heifer show would it aussie? :cboy:

:lol2:

Aero":3qcmqkpc said:
Noone that I am aware of has yet. They still make a pretty picture and a better show steer. I wouldn't recommend turning 100 purebreds out on any big west Texas ranch though.

Brandonm22":radhlsr2 said:
Aero":radhlsr2 said:
Noone that I am aware of has yet. They still make a pretty picture and a better show steer. I wouldn't recommend turning 100 purebreds out on any big west Texas ranch though.

there are probably more fullblood maine anjou's in texas than most other states combined.

knabe":1fm25eed said:
there are probably more fullblood maine anjou's in texas than most other states combined.

True, but Texas is a big place with many different kinds of ranches. The show ring is extremely competitive there as well. There could be 100 fullblood commercial Maine Anjous living out on the range some place in Terrell or Val Verde County; but that wouldn't have been the breed I would have recommended.

Aero":31w6jsf4 said:

Maine is really popular in Alberta , the neighbors who run around a 1000 head use Maine bulls on all of their commercials ,the daughters do really well at showing the PB reg. Maine animals as well. I think the only problem they used to have that put people off were that the fresh heifers didn't have adequate milk and the girls really didn't come into their own as their contemporaries of other breeds until they were a 3rd or 4th calver BUT that seems to have been corrected by bull selection and the huge strides made by breeding programs.

My cousins husbands sister raises PB registered maine and they AI mostly and are quite well known in the show circuit as well as in the seedstock market. I don't talk to her (cousins SIL) very often but next time I do I will try to find out if they know anything of the bull.

Killala":1ngjxmlo said:
aussie_cowgirl":1ngjxmlo said:
JimDandybull.jpg

Just researching... lol. Transport from Adelaide to WA is expensive!

The black Maine's are less than 100% purebreed, while the red and white are the pure breed. I read where the red and white does colors do not follow if it is crossed and will be the color of the cross.

I looked at Jim Dandy's site and there are several young feeder bulls for sale due to the drought.

I know the maine-black Angus cross i saw at Fairs were some large animals, and mostly BLACK.. That was the show ring though.. The Tulsa fair had some good ones 3 or 4 years ago. I like the looks of these cattle, but do not know alot about them though....

here's a 12 year old fullblood

sorry, pic won't upload. tried to follow directions, couldn't do it. do you have to upload it to the photo section first, or just within this window by the upload attachment found below?

Latest posts