Anyone use the Maine Anjou bull 'Jim Dandy'

Help Support CattleToday:

Maine is really popular in Alberta , the neighbors who run around a 1000 head use Maine bulls on all of their commercials ,the daughters do really well at showing the PB reg. Maine animals as well. I think the only problem they used to have that put people off were that the fresh heifers didn't have adequate milk and the girls really didn't come into their own as their contemporaries of other breeds until they were a 3rd or 4th calver BUT that seems to have been corrected by bull selection and the huge strides made by breeding programs.

My cousins husbands sister raises PB registered maine and they AI mostly and are quite well known in the show circuit as well as in the seedstock market. I don't talk to her (cousins SIL) very often but next time I do I will try to find out if they know anything of the bull.

To say they are really popular in Alberta is a stretch at best. They would rank far behind Angus (red or black) and Simmental. Those are really popular. I would think they would also rank behind Charolais, Hereford, Gelbvieh and Limousin in terms of bull use. They would probably be one of the minor breeds in the province in terms of numbers and bulls used commercially. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Their biggest problem used to be the 140 lb calves and c-sections. Now with more Angus bred in (blacks and reds) the BW are down and they calve much easier. I'm sure the Fullblood breeders have also bred the BW down as well.

Hi,
If you want to find out about people using this bull Why don't you contact either the American MaineAnjou association or the Canadian Maine Anjou Association there are still quite a few of us using fullbloods.
Canuck

Latest posts