Anyone use or would you trust this?

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
IMG_20170331_095510373_zpswmdqqrub.jpg

10K miles? Yeah, probably. Don't think I would go more than that though.

I put 10k on 15k rate Mobile 1 synthethic oil with a 15k rated filter. The oil is pretty dirty after 10k, but I believe it works ok like that. I wouldn't want to go 15k although under normal driving condition and a clean air filter it still might be alright. I think a key to this is to make sure you use an oil filter that is rated for the longer mileage.

It's probably similar to Amsoil, where they claim you run the oil longer, but service the filter at certain intervals.

Dealership where I just bought the 2014 F-250 said they highly recommend synthetic oil or a 50-50 blend.

I use Lucas synthetic in my truck and change at 5K miles, sometimes up to 7... I do one oil change a year, don't drive a whole lot.. top it up when needed.

Bright Raven, there were some ford vehicles (can't remember which ones) that were VERY sensitive to the viscosity with the cam advance soleniods... too thick an oil and you'd get a check engine light because the cam wouldn't advance quickly enough

What about he build up of chemicals in the oil hat aren't vented anymore? I realize oil doesn't actually wear out but it does get contaminated and diluted over time.

Nesikep":2pa6ncl5 said:
I use Lucas synthetic in my truck and change at 5K miles, sometimes up to 7... I do one oil change a year, don't drive a whole lot.. top it up when needed.

Rumor is that adding a quart to mobile 1 @5-6k miles recharges it so to say.

Bright Raven, there were some ford vehicles (can't remember which ones) that were VERY sensitive to the viscosity with the cam advance soleniods... too thick an oil and you'd get a check engine light because the cam wouldn't advance quickly enough

at some point you gotta wonder if the higher price of oil really pays off in additional engine life, or if the additional cost far exceeds the the price of a new engine...

With some of these oils you're getting in the $50-100 per oil change area.. Is the vehicle going to fall apart and have a perfect engine? would cheaper oil changed more frequently get you there just as well?

Nesikep":2ieih0xr said:

We had a Ford V10 at work and the mechanic used 15w40 synthetic, like the diesels, and burnt up the valve train because it wouldn't lift the oil to the top of the engine. I believe it was supposed to run 5w30

10k interval is nothing new. A lot of manufacturers recommend it. Mobil 1 just took the concept and built an ad campaign around it, like the Briggs push mowers that never require oil changes.

I really don't see it penciling out at 75 dollars per change, when you can go 5k with a 30 dollar combo.

Kingfisher":3mjja0pc said:
:|
Bright Raven":3mjja0pc said:
Dealership where I just bought the 2014 F-250 said they highly recommend synthetic oil or a 50-50 blend.
What's your owner manual say?

It says use an oil that meets SAE specifications 5W-30.

SteppedInIt":pol59c5h said:
Nesikep":pol59c5h said:

We had a Ford V10 at work and the mechanic used 15w40 synthetic, like the diesels, and burnt up the valve train because it wouldn't lift the oil to the top of the engine. I believe it was supposed to run 5w30
I believe y'all killed a V10 but not cuz of the oil viscosity...

My wife has a chevy cobalt with a little 2.2L 4cyl and it routinely goes 10K+ on oil changes, and at 10K the oil looks about as clean as it does when new. Last year I went 16k miles on the oil in it before a change, then sent a sample in and it came back all good. If I wouldn't have drained it into a dirty pan I would have put it back into something else.

Had multiple oil analysis done, 10K is my regular interval. 15K would actually be ok. Just easier for me to do at the even 10K mileage. An oil analysis can be done for leas than $20. Some companies will do it for free, if you use their oil.

Newer gas engines are not meant to run high viscosity oils, and doing so can and does have adverse affects. Even 90's models - I know several examples of trucks that had been running high viscosity oils and couldn't hold oil presssure - some do after changing back to the recommended weight oil, some end up needing a top end or a whole motor.

We run 5W-30 Motorcraft semi-synthetic in all of our Ford gassers (change at 5k miles), and have run several 200k plus with no problems.

Latest posts