Anyone run Charolais bull for terminal cross?

Help Support CattleToday:

Txwalt

Reaction score
I was curious as to how many on here run a Char bull for a terminal cross. If you do what kind of cows do you have?

Walt

Walt,
Funny you should ask that as I was just doing some research on that exact subject.
About 3 moths ago the boss came home from an action with 30 Char first time heifers with calf at their side. We have mostly Black Angus.
When I asked him why he bought them, he said he was going to do some "complementarity breeding" as it was his opinion that when this love fest with the black angus is over this is where it will be at next.
Now breeding is not exactly my cut of tea nor is it my field of expertise so I was researching it to see what he was up to when you posted.
So I will be very interest to see the responses.
Here is a site I was reading.
http://www.ag.auburn.edu/~schmisp/ansc4000/index.htm

SL

i dont right now but have in the past. used them on all sorts of cows, mostly beefmaster and beefmaster cross.

I have used them on cows of all breeds and crosses. I do think they are the fastest growing calves you can come up with. I have also used the simental bulls they are right there with them as far as producing a fast growing calf, good calves. I do believe that one day, the Char. will be back on top. I have no Idea how long that will be. but I do believe it will be back.

tryinhard

Time will tell if Charolais are back on top we all know black hided cattle are here to stay but Charolais can add pounds to those solid black herds faster then any other black bull out there so maybe with all the factors such as feed shortages, corn prices, and drought currently coming into play Charolais can gain more of a market for any cattlemen trying to add pounds with the least amount of investment

How much a a BW difference did you see using the Char bulls vs. what you had?

Walt

I've got four char. bulls and their averaging 70-77 lb. calves, right on the money with their epd's. I'm starting to believe the breeders when they say they've bred out the high birth-weight traits. I was all black but I seem to get bored with things easily so I pulled my black bulls off and ran char. bulls last season; those calves grew like weeds !! They broke the bank at the sale barn as well.

I know of 60lb bw in Charolais so I know if you need a specific bw for your operation and you search hard and long enough you can find it while using Charolais

Latest posts