Anyone raising Shorthorns?

Help Support CattleToday:

When I go to the sale with the intent to buy... I buy all the shorthorn looking steer calves (unless they are horned). Got a few last spring for less than $400 each- they sure finished good! We finish beef for customers so they don't care what color the hide is.

Gotten lucky so far and haven't come home with any corriette or longhorns ;)

Shorthorns are some of the best cattle you can own . My dad and I had them for years . A couple of drawbacks to them are their color ( red , white , or roan ) and they tend to have a little more hair than some breeds ; a problem we encountered in the south . Great mother's , great miller's , gentle disposition and they grow . Many other breeds trace their ancestry back to shorthorns. My dad got sick and I got too busy with coaching, teaching, and raising 3 kids , so we got out of cattle. When I got back in about 6-7 years ago I did some research and discovered the market in our area had to have black hide or I would have gone back with shorthorns. Every old farmer I know has a frosty cow that they claim is their best one !

Is there a good, commercial-type Shorthorn AI sire that has decent CE? I don't care about hide color, I market beef.
I live in Australia so I'm not up with your EPDs but I'd look at Muridale Robert. Muridale Robert has a CE of 14. Not sure what sort number you're looking for but I liked him enough to get some straws from him. Also solid Red for those that require that.

Latest posts