anyone made their own creep feeder?

Help Support CattleToday:

topstock

Reaction score
Plans? how-to tips? I was going to go to an auction today to look at one, but with the mud, cold and the place having the auction being uh, less than .....never mind. I just figured I could make one with stuff I have here...........

I made one several years ago, I came across some conduit, excess on a job I was on. It was 10 ft long. I made 2 squares, and cut some conduit in half, and welded one square on top of the other. That made it 5 ft high. Then I closed 3 sides in with heavy woven wire fencing. I made a bar to adjust height on the open side. Fastened a feeder across from the open end with a hopper. I then added a bracket to move it with my 3 point hitch. It works good, but I found I needed a roof over the feeder to keep rain out. I only use it when the grass gets short in late summer. It was easy to build, and the price was right.

This may not be the answer you want but it is another way to look at it.
I have tried creep feeders with attached creep gates and they have had trouble with the cows tearing them up. It seems that the cows can get too close to the feed and then push on the attached gates until the bust something. Usually when the feeder gets light and they can push the thing around.
I have found it easier to use a covered feeder and a creep gate located further away. I open a gate and tie a creep gate with wire to the gate on one end and the gate post on the other. Then put the feeder 20 or 40 feet inside the pen.
After that any homemade feeder will work that will keep the weather and calf out of the feed hopper.

Alabama man got that exactly right, worst thing you can do is put a creeper in an open pasture - Been isolating mine for years - Makes it easier to swap out or fill without being amongst all the cows.

Latest posts