Anyone Legend Lespedesa?

Help Support CattleToday:

nap

Reaction score
I want to seed a few paddocks with Lespedesa for summer pasture but I am in a quandary. Legend Lespedesa, which is not available locally, sells for $2.40 a pound in MO and costs $10.00 to ship a 50 lb sack on amounts over 500 lbs. We have Korean Lespedesa available locally at $1.56/lb. According to the advertisements Legend is supposed to yield 30% more than other varieties with less stem and more leaf. If the hype is true than the cost difference is probably not as significant. I am anxious to know if anyone has had experience with Legend and to get their thoughts. It is a big investment for us and I want to do the right thing. Thanks for your help.

I called Nixa seed - they don't have Legend
If you check, you find out that Legend lespedeza is available Only from Cutting-Edge
www.cutting-edgeproducts.com
The information there shows University data - looks like about a 30% increase over the next best lespedeza.
Korean lespedeza was @2.05 last year in some places -
The article on that site sounds like Legend get quite a bit taller than Korean.

Herm":3v6dn1za said:
I called Nixa seed - they don't have Legend
If you check, you find out that Legend lespedeza is available Only from Cutting-Edge
http://www.cutting-edgeproducts.com
The information there shows University data - looks like about a 30% increase over the next best lespedeza.
Korean lespedeza was @2.05 last year in some places -
The article on that site sounds like Legend get quite a bit taller than Korean.

When I talked to Nixa the Lespedesa they described was Kobe which is supposed to give a 30% increase in growth over Korean. I called checking to see if the carried Legend. I was told that Legend is a brand name and not a separate subspecies of Lespedesa. So I'm a little confused, is there anyone out there that can straighten this out?

I called on the Legend Lespedeza this morning. They suggest application of 10-15 lbs per acre when planted as a companion. The seed cost is $2.40 per pound + shipping. They took common Lespedeza and selected for a greater amount of leaf and superior reseeding ability. You can pickup if you want to save the shipping. They are located between Kansas City and Springfield. Mo. You have to call to make arrangements for pickup.

I can purchase Kobe (Hay Type) for $1.22 or Korean (Pasture Type) for $.89 from Nixa Hardware and Seed company in Nixa, Missouri.

JH

I've never heard of MFA. Is that an abbreviation for something?
I live about an hour and a half south of Kansas City (on the Kansas side).

jhambley":k3alnsc9 said:
I've never heard of MFA. Is that an abbreviation for something?
I live about an hour and a half south of Kansas City (on the Kansas side).

MFA - Missouri Farmers Associaiton

Do a google on Legend lespadeza. Read the university growth trials data and discover for yourself that the hype is mostly hype. Might save yourself several $ per acre. World feeder bermuda grass comes to mind.

Couldn't agree more DS. There were a number of questionable stories regarding Legend. For one, the University of Arkansas sent out a letter to seed dealers saying they had no record of ever having that lespedeza in a trial.

Latest posts