Anyone know what this is ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
It's on the back of the zucchini leaves and something is eating the leaves up.

D58_C4069-178_F-4682-8_E92-5_E3_AD4_BC4677.png

Downy mildew grows on leaves. Some types have the appearance of a powdery crust. The picture is too small to be sure. But betting a variety of fungus

I was seeing the white patches. Now I see the dark rows of insect eggs. The scattered white crusty patches are probably a fungus.

The white is seven dust
I thought it was squash bugs eating up plants but seven hasn't had any effect.
Then I noticed the clusters in the underneath of the leaves.
Whatever it is it's killing the plants

Brought the wife in on this one and she says it's squash bug eggs. Use a really sticky tape to remove them. Kill all the adults as they will kill the vine.

If they are egg shaped and squash easily, they are eggs, if they are shingle like things, scale.

To keep from getting my Bifocals out I blowed it up a little. That is were the little yellowish/whiteish butterflies lay their eggs that turns into worms and eats your garden up. Anytime you see those little butterflies around your garden you need to be spraying or dusting. The spray want kill the eggs, but will kill the worms that hatch, so you need to spray often. Wrong eggs after checking.........

VsRUi8g.png

Here is what the butterfly eggs look like.......Good post above as I have had good luck with liquid Sevin...I just put a little in a container add water and go through and pour it on like I am watering the plant. It must work as I have had very little damage from pests.

lBrqQpL.jpg

Eggs. Look to be reddish in color so that would probably be squash vine borer eggs. The mother looks like a tiny wasp and the babies will bore holes in your squash.

Jogeephus":rene6cj9 said:
Eggs. Look to be reddish in color so that would probably be squash vine borer eggs. The mother looks like a tiny wasp and the babies will bore holes in your squash.
Yeah, they do look like the vine borer eggs...…. I hate those things. I quit growing squash in my garden because of all the bugs that like eating on them....I usually plant on a fire lane somewhere and pick when I check cows..

Sevin dust hasn't helped that I can tell,
What do you kill them with ?

Sevin dust has been cut back to where its about worthless now. Try using some liquid Sevin - not the L&G stuff you find at the box stores but the stuff you use for armyworms. Or if you have use bifenthrin or permethrin for armyworms use that but if the squash is bearing you'd be better using the liquid Sevin but if you pick every other day the latter two should be fine if you spray right after you pick then come back and pick again after the 48 hours.

Cross-7":16l7t8s2 said:
The white is seven dust
I thought it was squash bugs eating up plants but seven hasn't had any effect.
Then I noticed the clusters in the underneath of the leaves.
Whatever it is it's killing the plants

7 dust or liquid is crap these days it just fattens them up more.

Those are the nymph stage of the squash bug. Not the vine borer but just called a squash bug. They mature a bit and look a little like the stink bugs. They have a sharp mouthpiece and suck the juice out of the squash leaves, eat them a little too, and inject some kind of a "poison" that kills off the leaf. Supposedly there is only 1 generation per year. You are supposed to make sure you clean up/burn all left over garden residue as they overwinter in mulch and plant waste. I have found the best thing for the garden is to let the chickens have the run of it in the fall/winter and they will scratch up and eat most all the bugs/larvae etc.. I think that scraping the eggs into a cup of water with some dish soap will take care of them...might be able to shake the leaf into a large bucket of soapy water... don't know about any poisons.

Latest posts