Anyone know of any.........

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I am looking for a Great Pyrenees pup out of good working lines that is AKC registered. Anyone know of any breeders? I am having trouble finding actual cattle dogs.I am located in southern Illinois and will travel to any of the surrounding states. any help would be great. thanks.

Are you wanting the GP to WORK the cattle? If so you're looking at the wrong breed. They stay with the herd,waiting for a preditor to make a move then chase it off/kill it.

I need one to protect the herd from predators. I have goats with kids and coyotes have been coming around so i need one mainly for peace of mind. I am also going to get a heeler to work the cattle.

Ok-- You might look at an Anitolian Shepherd-Same type of dog,different coloring. Also Akabash. There's a Russian dog,does the same thing,also Tibetan Mastiff.

Get a good book or talk to omeone with experience so that you know the proper way to deal with a livestock gaurd dog. Some peole can;t deal with the leaving it out rain or shine.

One other thing- You gotta put the GP up before useing dogs to work the goats/sheep. Saves a very unpleasant
experence.

Latest posts