Anyone in the dry areas of TX need hay

Help Support CattleToday:

jedstivers

Reaction score
Send me a PM and I'll tell you about what some of my neighbors have. It's OK but not the best but I don't think they want to much for it. We are 418 miles from Dallas and 612 Austin. To the Mods. please don't erase this post I'm not trying to make anything on this, just trying to get some reasonably priced hay to some people that need it or are being taken advantage of. Thank you, Jed.

i hear you there jed alot of people up around austin an san antone are hurting for hay.ive got a buddy thats selling alot of round bales up that way.as well as some sq bales.ive also herd theres lots of bone thin cattle going through their sales as well.

round bales are from 60 to 100 a roll. small squares are from 7.50 to 10 for grass hay. small bales of alfalfa starts at 10. the freight is what is a killer on most hay most want 2.50 per mile. if you buy the hay for 30 dollars its gonna cost 72.50 a bale. there is alot of junk hay showing up too. most people are selling out and not gonna get rolled on hay. most hauling the hay in will only haul 4x5 rolls because they can get more bales on the truck.

dewey":19aul5a8 said:
round bales are from 60 to 100 a roll. small squares are from 7.50 to 10 for grass hay. small bales of alfalfa starts at 10. the freight is what is a killer on most hay most want 2.50 per mile. if you buy the hay for 30 dollars its gonna cost 72.50 a bale. there is alot of junk hay showing up too. most people are selling out and not gonna get rolled on hay. most hauling the hay in will only haul 4x5 rolls because they can get more bales on the truck.
That's the reason I posted the miles to Dal. and Aust. we are 690 miles to San Antonio. The hay here is bermuda, dallas grass and Johnson grass mixed, they are 4x5 net wrapped and will be a good bit less than $30 here. Don't know a weight but not hard to weigh some to get an average to get an Idea on how many can go on a truck.

My neighbor across the way is not going to get a second cutting off of 100+ acres because not many around here need it.
Pretty decent bahaia/timothy, mostly bahaia.
I told him about the drought and he said if someone needed it He'd roll it in to 4x4s for $20.00-$22.00 a roll.
I don't know how much it would cost to get it from here to there, but I hate to see it go to waste knowing somebody needs it.
Just east of Baton Rouge.
I think they weigh out at about 650-700#s. Just a guess.

cmf1":1lzxe9ot said:
My neighbor across the way is not going to get a second cutting off of 100+ acres because not many around here need it.
Pretty decent bahaia/timothy, mostly bahaia.
I told him about the drought and he said if someone needed it He'd roll it in to 4x4s for $20.00-$22.00 a roll.
I don't know how much it would cost to get it from here to there, but I hate to see it go to waste knowing somebody needs it.
Just east of Baton Rouge.
I think they weigh out at about 650-700#s. Just a guess.
That's the way I am, lot of hay here going to go to waste and it's needed bad down there.

I just bought forty two 4X5's Saturday from Mo. Good looking fescue and the cows seem to really like it. Paid $70/bale but I don't see how this gent can do it at $70. That's a lotta haulin from Mo. to S. Texas.

Folks are gettin pretty desperate and there's some funny business goin on - on both sides. Reason I got this load is because someone ordered it and when the man got here with the hay the buyer never showed up. His loss, my gain.

I just hauled off 111 head today. left me 35 head. Maybe I can get them through the Winter and then start over again. God help us, it's goin to be another dust bowl.

I reckon i could come up with a few loads, it ain't the best but its what i feed my cows. 4x5 bales net wraped baled on a near new New Holland baler. If need be i reckon we could bale another couple of hundred bale.

kenny thomas":36i31nfy said:
Plenty of hay here but we are 1050 miles from the nearest point in TX. Be glad to help if I can.
About the same here, its a far drive but i have plenty of good hay too.

It's needed-people are turning horses/donkeys out on the road-cows the same-the horse rescue groups are full up. I don't have a head of stock of any kind,but just driveing down the road hurts.

my buddy had to hurry home after church yesterday because he had a guy coming frome south tx to get a load of hay.an he loaded 61 sq bales an 6 4 by 6 bales.the bales was so heavy buddy had to leave rake on the tractor for extra weight on the tractor.the guy was wanting him to cut back an make the bales 800lbs because he said those was to heavy.buddy told him no he wasnt cutting the size of the bales back.guy supposed to come today an get some more sq bales.buddy said he was 2wks behind now.running 3 balers as hard as they can.an he said he was 2wks behind.an when he catches up he will head here an bale 60acs more or less.

Latest posts