Anyone hunt with the Mini 14?

Help Support CattleToday:

Spookle

Reaction score
I purchased the Mini 14 a couple months ago and haven't used it then. Don't ask why :lol: Anyways, I need a scope dedicated for hunting animals like squirrels. I'm leaning towards the Nikon 8496 P-233 3x32 BDC. Any ideas or suggestions?

I have one with the thin barrel that is a few years old. It has a nice action, but hitting a plate at 100 yards is about it.

No kidding. 223 will pretty much vaporize a squirrel, and your eardrums.

I have a Savage Bmag in .17 WSM. Bullets are pretty cheap, it's not super loud, and it's big enough to take a yote if the need arises. Plus it's a tack driver.

I agree that 223 is way over kill. I have always used 22 shorts or LR. Heck a 410 will do the job just as well to

5S Cattle":1u5v8w7w said:
Good luck finding one accurate enough to hit a squirrel. That weapon platform is a pos

Old ones were pretty rough but the new ones are significantly better. The action is very dependable though.

Im not a .223/.556 fan so Ive never had much interest in the mini 14. I do have a mini 30 on the list.

Brute 23":2wwsi4pg said:
5S Cattle":2wwsi4pg said:
Good luck finding one accurate enough to hit a squirrel. That weapon platform is a pos

Old ones were pretty rough but the new ones are significantly better. The action is very dependable though.

Im not a .223/.556 fan so Ive never had much interest in the mini 14. I do have a mini 30 on the list.

Mine will punch holes in a clover leaf at 100. It's one of the newer 582 series since Ruger retooled.
Now that is sitting in a Caldwell lead sled with a good Vortex scope on it.
As far as a weapons platform it's modeled after the one we defeated the world with.

Caustic Burno":8yxgq5wq said:
Brute 23":8yxgq5wq said:
5S Cattle":8yxgq5wq said:

Mine will punch holes in a clover leaf at 100. It's one of the newer 582 series since Ruger retooled.
Now that is sitting in a Caldwell lead sled with a good Vortex scope on it.
As far as a weapons platform it's modeled after the one we defeated the world with.

Yes, M1A (M14 select-fire) which was an upgrade from the M1 Garand thumb masher. The Mini has one of the sweetest actions I have ever shot. I waste ammo with it to just experience that smooth action. After market parts, add-ons unlike the AR are very expensive and very few. The AM mags are junk as you mite as well bit the bullet and buy Ruger brand.

The M14 was heavy as lead so they made the lighter Mini and it has taken it until the 582 series to get it right.

I've never shot one I wanted to own. What year did the good ones come out? I did like the action, though I remember some kind of funky bolt lock similar to the 10-22 I think

SALTBRANCH2":3geltybz said:
I agree that 223 is way over kill. I have always used 22 shorts or LR. Heck a 410 will do the job just as well to

I don't use 22LR anymore too many houses out in the woods now to be shooting up in the air.
Stick with a Browning BPS in 16 or 28 gauge, most of the time the 28.
Use the 16 on deer and hogs.

Caustic Burno":o066n1km said:
SALTBRANCH2":o066n1km said:

I don't use 22LR anymore too many houses out in the woods now to be shooting up in the air.
I hunt squirrels with a .177 pellet gun, one shot one kill. It's unbelievable how accurate and how hard a good pellet gun shoots. I'll kill more than a 100 squirrels again this year.

True Grit Farms":2xujc8i3 said:
Caustic Burno":2xujc8i3 said:
SALTBRANCH2":2xujc8i3 said:

I hunt squirrels with a .177 pellet gun, one shot one kill. It's unbelievable how accurate and how hard a good pellet gun shoots. I'll kill more than a 100 squirrels again this year.

I am not good enough to hit a runnin cat squirrel with a rifle period, he is running timber faster than you can run.
Now an old fox squirrel that wants to play hide and seek is another story.

Caustic Burno":1m4pkfo7 said:
True Grit Farms":1m4pkfo7 said:
Caustic Burno":1m4pkfo7 said:

I am not good enough to hit a runnin cat squirrel with a rifle period, he is running timber faster than you can run.
Now an old fox squirrel that wants to play hide and seek is another story.
I still hunt a feed source, either a deer feeder or an oak tree. If you follow a squirrel to the feed source you can kill a bunch just by sitting and waiting.

Latest posts