Anyone hunt with the 6.5 Creedmoore?

Help Support CattleToday:

I bought a 6.5 youth rifle for the Granddaughter.
What bullet weight works best with the 6.5 Creedmore?
I would expect shots to be less than 150 yards.
Looks like 130-145 gr. is preferred for deer size game. Should be a good round for her to shoot. I hope she shows up Grandpa and gets a whopper!

We have a youth only deer season in October. I am looking forward to it. I purchased a 2 gun "battery" consisting of a youth .22 and a youth 6.5 Creedmore to get her started. I have a bunch of 30.06s but they are overkill for whitetails. I also have a bunch of .22-250s but the bullet is a tad light unless you wait for the ideal angle.

I have a 7x57 which is just slightly better ballistically than the 6.5CM. I shoot 140 grain bullets. I would stick to bullets in that size range. One shot for every deer I have shot with it. One elk, same thing one shot.

That youth 6.5 doesn't kick like a sob?

My son's mom and step dad bought him on of those gun and scope package deals. The gun has an all synthetic stock and is real light. Of course I had to sight it in with him. It has a pretty good pop.

They insisted he take it on an invite hunt last year. He did but hasn't touched it since. I tried to tell them that he has two rifles he already uses. A supressed 243 with a Leupold and a 308 tact with a Leupold.

When I looked back at the original post from 2018 my buddy had 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC II. I also have a 6.8 SPC II.

I'm not a big caliber guy, one of my favorite guns is a 243 and I will shoot any thing with it that I will shoot with my 308. I'm a big believer in shot placement. When I read all the stuff on 6.5 Credmore I chalked a lot of it up to shot placement and bullet choice, and still do.

With that said, I go on a big hunt every year in WTX and a bunch of the guys drank the kool-aid and bought 6.5s. They all talked about how far they could shoot... blah.. blah.. blah. That lasted about 2 years and I haven't seen one since. We tracked multiple deer, with good blood trails, and never recovered the deer.

I will say these are "shoot them behind the shoulder" guys. They are not exactly know for ear-holing stuff, but I have also see them kill their fair share of deer with out a problem.

When my son got his I did some reading and talking to people and they said to make sure and shoot a good heavy bullet with a lot of expansion in that 6.5. That's kind of common sense but it seems a lot of these people are getting to focuser on the speed and in some cases that can hurt you with out the right bullet choice to match.

Remington makes a 6.5 in that tactical that I like so much. That is probably a sweet shooting gun with the heavier barrel.

When I looked back at the original post from 2018 my buddy had 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC II. I also have a 6.8 SPC II.

I'm not a big caliber guy, one of my favorite guns is a 243 and I will shoot any thing with it that I will shoot with my 308. I'm a big believer in shot placement. When I read all the stuff on 6.5 Credmore I chalked a lot of it up to shot placement and bullet choice, and still do.

With that said, I go on a big hunt every year in WTX and a bunch of the guys drank the kool-aid and bought 6.5s. They all talked about how far they could shoot... blah.. blah.. blah. That lasted about 2 years and I haven't seen one since. We tracked multiple deer, with good blood trails, and never recovered the deer.

I will say these are "shoot them behind the shoulder" guys. They are not exactly know for ear-holing stuff, but I have also see them kill their fair share of deer with out a problem.

When my son got his I did some reading and talking to people and they said to make sure and shoot a good heavy bullet with a lot of expansion in that 6.5. That's kind of common sense but it seems a lot of these people are getting to focuser on the speed and in some cases that can hurt you with out the right bullet choice to match.
Remington makes a 6.5 in that tactical that I like so much. That is probably a sweet shooting gun with the heavier barrel.
Regarding shooting a heavier bullet: I knew a folk that would hunt with FMJ - almost 0 expansion, lost so many bucks 'cause of that... Some people just aren't that good with "common sense".

Latest posts