Anyone hunt with the 6.5 Creedmoore?

Help Support CattleToday:

SALTBRANCH2

Reaction score
I have drank the kool aid and now own 2 of them. This will be my first year to deer hunt with them. Low recoil and pretty darn flat shooting. My longest kill so far was hog at about 360 yards, head shot, DRT.

No. But I have the 6.5 X 284 Winchester. I shoot it using Lapua Brass. All the 6.5 X 284 cartridges (and there are a few) have innate accuracy.

I have an AR-10 .308 I thought about getting a 6.5 Creedmoore upper for. I like the .308 pretty good and have yet to get it. The 6.5 Creedmoore is suppose to be a little more accurate that the .308.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/779274587

PKgmDW2.jpg

SALTBRANCH2":1ll76gzj said:
I have drank the kool aid and now own 2 of them. This will be my first year to deer hunt with them. Low recoil and pretty darn flat shooting. My longest kill so far was hog at about 360 yards, head shot, DRT.

A detuned 264 Win Mag

Just another sales pitch from the gun and ammo companies to boost sales. A 308 will do anything a 6.5 Creedmoor will do better. For some reason 30 cal is the perfect match for small arms.

I still wonder how they managed to kill deer when all they had was a 30-30.

I heard some horror stories of blood shot meat from a 6.5. Not that I have witnessed, just stories I have heard.

Dave":ypviay91 said:

I heard some horror stories of blood shot meat from a 6.5. Not that I have witnessed, just stories I have heard.

There are some out there that plink deer with a 22lr.

First it was the 30-06
Then it was the 308
Then the 300 blackout
Now it's the 6.5
I wonder what they will hype next as the "hot" "new" "killin machine"?

sim.-ang.king":3g0wrpkv said:
Dave":3g0wrpkv said:

First it was the 30-06
Then it was the 308
Then the 300 blackout
Now it's the 6.5
The 30-40 krag started the 30 cal military run.

sim.-ang.king":1r3rycxv said:
Dave":1r3rycxv said:

First it was the 30-06
Then it was the 308
Then the 300 blackout
Now it's the 6.5
Surely not! Lol
I shoot a 6,5x284 Norma. Had to be different.

30-30's are just about the best all around and my overall favorite , especially after the Hornady leverlution came out. I have several and bought both my boys 1 each. I have 30-06, 300 Win Mag and 300 Weatherby mags, all great shooters. The 6.5 is my new toy to play with. Some cool vids on YouTube showing some impressive long range shots at paper/steel targets.

SALTBRANCH2":ov60c632 said:
30-30's are just about the best all around and my overall favorite , especially after the Hornady leverlution came out. I have several and bought both my boys 1 each. I have 30-06, 300 Win Mag and 300 Weatherby mags, all great shooters. The 6.5 is my new toy to play with. Some cool vids on YouTube showing some impressive long range shots at paper/steel targets.
I bought a couple boxes of the Hornady LEVERevolution 30-30 Ammunition and tried it in my Win 30-30. It didn't seem very far behind my 06 all around.

Look at the reviews...................

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10017 ... -box-of-20

jltrent":2xdwf9a3 said:
SALTBRANCH2":2xdwf9a3 said:
I bought a couple boxes of the Hornady LEVERevolution 30-30 Ammunition and tried it in my Win 30-30. It didn't seem very far behind my 06 all around.

Open sites and me don't get along anymore. I need a scope, and a scope on a 30-30 defeats the purpose of carrying one.

[/quote]
Open sites and me don't get along anymore. I need a scope, and a scope on a 30-30 defeats the purpose of carrying one.[/quote]

I hear ya, its getting tougher for me. I have been toying with the idea of putting a red dot scope on one of 30-30's. I think it would work good for fast target acquisition.

sim.-ang.king":2ya8p99u said:
Dave":2ya8p99u said:

First it was the 30-06
Then it was the 308
Then the 300 blackout
Now it's the 6.5
I've taken bear out with a single shot Cooey .22 when I had to.. 2 year old black bear not a grizzly. I have better tools now.

True Grit Farms":36uzl73j said:
jltrent":36uzl73j said:
SALTBRANCH2":36uzl73j said:

Open sites and me don't get along anymore. I need a scope, and a scope on a 30-30 defeats the purpose of carrying one.
I have a side mount scope on it and it works pretty good, but looks pretty sheety on it.

I bought a 6.5 youth rifle for the Granddaughter.
What bullet weight works best with the 6.5 Creedmore?
I would expect shots to be less than 150 yards.

Had a Ruger 1 in a 6.5 Swede that shot where you were looking. Gave that to a cousin who took care of the cattle when I
was down for a TKR and hip replacement. For serious hunting I liked the ''Ouch & Ouch" (375) but I am giving that to my
granddaughter as my days on the mountain are pretty well done. Looking back I believe I enjoyed the hunt and friends as
much as anything. The kill was sort of like the period at the end of the sentence Although I enjoyed reading the whole story!

Latest posts