Anyone here raise pigs? Need feed advice.

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
I have some hogs I am feeding out distillery waste, it only tested 11.7% protien but has more starch. It has a lot of whole corn in it. I am feeding half distillery grain, half crushed corn(free choice daily), and a 30 gallon mix of veggie trimmings every 2 days. This consist of cabbage, lettuce, watermelon rind, potato and sweet potato peel and a variety of fruit trimmings like apple, banana, strawberries etc...
Is this a recipe for fattening?. I feel short on protien, am I right? I am only feeding 3 out right now.

Yep. That's more in line with a finisher type feed. You need about 18 to start them up to about a month then 16 would be a good grower and you could finish out on that if you wanted to. One of the other guys works in a pig growing house....i think simangus...maybe he will chime in

BK9954":28u9rjqp said:
I have some hogs I am feeding out distillery waste, it only tested 11.7% protien but has more starch. It has a lot of whole corn in it. I am feeding half distillery grain, half crushed corn(free choice daily), and a 30 gallon mix of veggie trimmings every 2 days. This consist of cabbage, lettuce, watermelon rind, potato and sweet potato peel and a variety of fruit trimmings like apple, banana, strawberries etc...
Is this a recipe for fattening?. I feel short on protien, am I right? I am only feeding 3 out right now.
Extremely short on protein. I'm sure they love this mix but it's not much. It's basically what we use to call "slop".

TexasBred":fm1t6j1j said:
BK9954":fm1t6j1j said:
Extremely short on protein. I'm sure they love this mix but it's not much. It's basically what we use to call "slop".
yeah these guys dont cook it down and are using too much whole corn. Tx A&M results were not favorable when I got it tested. They love it but should I stop wasting my time?

Producer's Coop sells a pretty good 14% pelleted hog feed for around $7.50 a sack. I have fed out a lot of pigs on it and they never went off the feed.

halfbean":3l4johfk said:
Producer's Coop sells a pretty good 14% pelleted hog feed for around $7.50 a sack. I have fed out a lot of pigs on it and they never went off the feed.
Yeah I can hog feed it at that price in Gonzales, and crushed corn at 5.25 a bag as well. At the price of pork it just doesnt math out.

Any chance you could get some waste milk from somewhere/somebody in order to up their protein? I'm thinking waste milk, as it is not as costly as bagged feed. Just a thought.

They need a bit more protein, at this size.

BK9954":16ai5h3n said:

Nope no one here raises pigs :lol: I raise them as we spoke before but my pigs feed consists of brewers grain milk break cakes waste veggies and whatever slop I can get from the house and the produce center normally gives me 2 pallets of waste veggies.. they get peanuts too. TB knows more about nutritional wise but mine have a good bit of fat and taste good.

BK9954":3lhagvgj said:
If I could find that kind of a feed source I would have 50 pigs.

I have about 30 left now had 86 im not buying anymore I want them to all get sold but my special ones that I will be eating I am bidding a hauling contract now to haul 15k-20k tons of waste produce a week then if I get that I will buy hundreds

I know someone who had 17. They were feeding 10-15 lbs of corn a day :shock: couldnt figure out why they werent growing any

Craig Miller":2um9eqag said:
I know someone who had 17. They were feeding 10-15 lbs of corn a day :shock: couldnt figure out why they werent growing any

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Mine have enough food in each pen to last a week they can't grow if you don't keep the feed in front of them and the right feeds. You can't beat a pig that's had milk and bread in its diet.

I raised 6 back in 2013 just to see what it cost. Used some bag feed but a whole lot of donuts and grass clippings. Ended up at 2.38 a pound processed. Really wasn't worth it despite my cheapness.

skyhightree1":14s77t24 said:
BK9954":14s77t24 said:

I have about 30 left now had 86 im not buying anymore I want them to all get sold but my special ones that I will be eating I am bidding a hauling contract now to haul 15k-20k tons of waste produce a week then if I get that I will buy hundreds

What about housing or will you pasture them?

shaz":1nqa5ji9 said:
skyhightree1":1nqa5ji9 said:
BK9954":1nqa5ji9 said:

What about housing or will you pasture them?

We have 2 hog houses but we stopped using 20+ years ago and a lot of cutover that would be easy to fence in then build pallet shelters throughout the cutover and let them work the soil over good. I probably would try both and see which works best. I have some in a pasture that's 10 acres some in 80' sides square pens in wooded areas they do really well in this heat with the shade and rarely use the shelter I built them.

shaz":27rf3xoi said:
I raised 6 back in 2013 just to see what it cost. Used some bag feed but a whole lot of donuts and grass clippings. Ended up at 2.38 a pound processed. Really wasn't worth it despite my cheapness.

I bought a bunch of runts dirt cheap at the barn and bought a fair amount of soymeal to go along with my other feeds and profit margin when I sold them was razor thin. If you buy in tonnage from like southern states you come out better but its still costly to raise those tasty morsels without using alternative foods.

BK9954":11lrlbbp said:
TexasBred":11lrlbbp said:
BK9954":11lrlbbp said:
yeah these guys dont cook it down and are using too much whole corn. Tx A&M results were not favorable when I got it tested. They love it but should I stop wasting my time?

BK is the 11.7% crude protein on the wet distillers on an as fed basis? If so it might not be as low on protein as we though.

Latest posts