anyone heard of this?

Help Support CattleToday:

smart_slider

Reaction score
2 years ago, we had a foal crop of 4. it was a BAD year! we lost 2 of the broodmares that foaled that year, and get this: a mare wouldn't accept her foal... she was a maiden mare, and had an attachment to the person that rode her. after the filly was born(gorgeous bucksin), the mare wanted nothing to do with it. it was strange... whenever the owner left, she would run and search for him.we bottle fed the little one for a day or 2 until we got sick of it and didn't have time. we decided to 'dope' the mare up on a mild sedative. in her weiry state, she nearly killed the filly by trying to kick it under the fence. after a 'come to jesus moment' with the owner, she no longer tried to kill the foal. she eventually let it nurse and was a terror at weaning time!
ss

Was the dam a buckskin also? Most of the cases I have heard of like this have been Arabians. I always thought buckskins were kind of nuts too though.

I think someone on here reported a long time ago that their Arabian mare had killed it foal. I told them I would have put a bullet in the mares head. Probably not one of the most popular things I have posted but that's what I would have done without hesitation.

yes and no... the mare "changes color" in different times of the year. her papers say she is a dun... she has the stripe down her back when she sheds in the spring... but she is a buckskin/gray/dun/roan the rest of the year! so i don't know! she is a Quarter horse, and used to be very herd bound to the other broodmares;(she used to be the alpha mare until we bought a nasty bay mare by Doc's Hickory) thanx
ss

Any way you can post photos of the mare at different times of the year/colors?? Be intersting to see.. Does sound a bit psyco....

she is weird, what can i say... she happily had her second foal this year; a blue/bay roan looking filly. to see pics of the filly, go to our website. http://www.sweetwaterranch.cc she is posted under the for sale horses. you can see the mom in the pic at the top of every page. thanx
ss

I have had that problem with horses but used to breed and train Dobermanns then Rotts. On occasion I've had a b*tch that refused to let the pups nurse. We've raised litters by bottle and never lost a pup. I firmly believe that some Mamas have to learn from other Mamas how to take care of the babbies. I've never had a B*tch who was around older B*tches reject her pups. I'm guessing that it's kinda like those Human Mothers who kill their Babies, they just can't cope or just don't know what to do. I had a friend once upon a time. When she would have a baby she'd get real goofy toward the baby and other people. After a little bit of time she do a 180 and be a great Mom, it took her several weeks to turn around. After 2 kids she had her tubes tied, she just couldn't go through all that again. I just guessing but maybe it's a hormone deal? May be it's a 'what have I got into deal'? I have seen it several times in people and in dogs??????

smart_slider":sifiif7a said:
she is weird, what can i say... she happily had her second foal this year; a blue/bay roan looking filly. to see pics of the filly, go to our website. http://www.sweetwaterranch.cc she is posted under the for sale horses. you can see the mom in the pic at the top of every page. thanx
ss

Yeah, she looks like evey other crazy buckskin I have seen. You can tell I reallly like buckskins huh? :lol:

Hahahahaha THe program for this board changes B.I.T.C.H. to 'be nice'.
My Lord, it's a female dog with puppies! I haven't checked to see what they do to a 'donkey' yet.

ha ha ha! this years foal has done well. it was funny! she chased her foal around with her ears pinned so that the foal would get back next to her. that filly would run, it seemed, just to anger her mom! it was the funniest thing i ever saw!! ha!
ss

Mike Franklin":en9cpmew said:
Hahahahaha THe program for this board changes B.I.T.C.H. to 'be nice'.
My Lord, it's a female dog with puppies! I haven't checked to see what they do to a 'donkey' yet.

Ain't THAT the truth! Guess too many on board that are offended by "correct" names for things and confuse them with obscene "uses" of the same names.

Bottomline: It "won't" offend the kids out there or corrupt them...they have already been "corrupted" by their friends, kids at school, TV, Video Games, News Media, and the rest of the world...lol.

Seriously "overprotected" kids = naive kids and/or "targets" in the real world... ;-)

Many years ago I was in an adult Sunday school class. The lesson for the day was about the 'Triumphant Entry' into Jerusalem. It said that Jesus rode into the city on the foal of a MULE!!! I pointed out to the teacher that this must be one of the lesser-known miracles in the Bible, the foal of a mule!

Latest posts