Anyone have Sheep?

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
I have a question..if a person is simply looking to get 3 "culls" from a sheep operation, where might a body look for this?

I am wanting 3 sheep..shedders, not shearers, to work my dogs on..I do not want to pay premium price for these animals..they dont need to be registered..just healthy with non-dog killing temperments..

thoughts?
Sarah

I am probably way too far from you, but I live in south central Louisiana and
I have a flock of kathdin ewes. We weaned about 40 lambs a couple of weeks
ago, plus I have some "dog-broke" yearling wethers. I get $70.00/head.

Lane

Lane":30chupn8 said:
I am probably way too far from you, but I live in south central Louisiana and
I have a flock of kathdin ewes. We weaned about 40 lambs a couple of weeks
ago, plus I have some "dog-broke" yearling wethers. I get $70.00/head.

Lane

I do wish ya lived closer..I was budgeting $50-$70 each..All Im finding is $250 sheep..

yes sheep are pretty high.my brother talked to a guy that has sheep.an he said he was gonna sell his ewe lambs for $200 at weaning or 6 months.but he said the guy might sell us 1 or 2 weaned ewes for $125 this fall.

bigbull338":1u7jboc7 said:
yes sheep are pretty high.my brother talked to a guy that has sheep.an he said he was gonna sell his ewe lambs for $200 at weaning or 6 months.but he said the guy might sell us 1 or 2 weaned ewes for $125 this fall.

I can find lots of goats..I have 2 goats actually..but they are dog smart...:(..thats why I was wanting sheep.

barbadoes/barbdolls how ever ya spell it would probably work for what you are wanting. you can more then likely got by a local sale barn and pick up some way cheaper then 200. probably anywhere from 25 to 60 dollars depending on their size.

spinandslide":1qxunv0f said:
bigbull338":1qxunv0f said:

I can find lots of goats..I have 2 goats actually..but they are dog smart...:(..thats why I was wanting sheep.
That won't ever be a problem with sheep. I think they're born dumb as a rock and go downhill from there.

TexasBred":3qf4l2pf said:
spinandslide":3qf4l2pf said:
bigbull338":3qf4l2pf said:

That won't ever be a problem with sheep. I think they're born dumb as a rock and go downhill from there.

Ive been told that..:)..

I watched my dog work a threesome of sheep round and round a roundpen..those sheep never thought to turn..my goats, they turn around and eyeball the dog like "make my day punk". :lol:

I spoke with a local lady who has dorper x's and barbado x's..she said the barbados tend to be cheaper, but can be abit flightier..I dont mind flighty..just dont want climb the fence flightly. :)

I would suggest that if you are trying to train a puppy on stock you need to
fix things so the dog can win. Barbados work fine with a trained dog, but
may be too much for a pup.
Lane

Lane":3vpl2zls said:
I would suggest that if you are trying to train a puppy on stock you need to
fix things so the dog can win. Barbados work fine with a trained dog, but
may be too much for a pup.
Lane

thanks for the info Lane..she is almost 2, not technicaly a pup..but not a seasoned dog..shes had abit of time working sheep, but they were dorpers. Shes helped me afew times with the horses and cows..but still needs confidence.

barbados are not fully domesticated, so I wouldnt suggest those.

dorpers would work, as long as you get something with manners. without manners, they will turn round and charge through you or the dog (or both) and they can be pretty hard on fences too. put a hot wire up!

just find a local breeder and offer $50 - 75 for weaned wether lambs. or offer to pay market price for 3 of the next lot of culls he is sending to the salebarn or abbatoir