Anyone have info on this Sask. Shorthorn bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
We are planning on buying a 3 year old herdsire from Star P shorthorns of Humboldt, Sask. The bull's name is Glenford Able Seaman 11P. His sire is Butterfield Able Seaman and his dam is Glenford Crystal 3RD

I don't know too much about shorthorn breeding but his numbers are good, he looks good to us, and his bull calves (at least the ones they have in sales) all seem to have grown well.

So I am just looking for any extra info that you guys might have.

I just bought a Butterfield Able Seaman son this year. He'll be doing some work on my commercial animals. Don't care much about numbers, so I don't know what his are, but the bull itself is put together reasonably well (I don't think it'll get used on my PB herd though, we'll see what his commercial calves look like). I seen some other Able Seamen sons out there, and while they're not just _exactly_ what I think a Saskatchewan Shorthorn needs to be, they seem to perform ok.

On edit: I should mention that the line itself appears to be pretty easy keeping. The ranch I bought my bull from roughs their stock, with almost no grain, even as young stock. I think the most grain this bull has ever seen in 2 years is a couple pounds of crushed oats to get the bulls up into a pen. As a 2 year old, he's light, just under 1400 lbs, but then thats decent growth on an almost purely forage fed bull.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":oyr8y01f said:
I just bought a Butterfield Able Seaman son this year. He'll be doing some work on my commercial animals. Don't care much about numbers, so I don't know what his are, but the bull itself is put together reasonably well (I don't think it'll get used on my PB herd though, we'll see what his commercial calves look like). I seen some other Able Seamen sons out there, and while they're not just _exactly_ what I think a Saskatchewan Shorthorn needs to be, they seem to perform ok.

On edit: I should mention that the line itself appears to be pretty easy keeping. The ranch I bought my bull from roughs their stock, with almost no grain, even as young stock. I think the most grain this bull has ever seen in 2 years is a couple pounds of crushed oats to get the bulls up into a pen. As a 2 year old, he's light, just under 1400 lbs, but then thats decent growth on an almost purely forage fed bull.

Rod

Thank you Rod, that was pretty much the kind of info I was looking for.

I'm not sure how close you all are to Saskatoon, but if you want to get intimately familiar with Shorthorn breeding, The Who's Your Daddy bull sale is on April 6th. Its being held at Saskatoon Livestock Sales. There will a pile of leading Shorthorn breeders at this sale, who will be more than willing to talk to just about anyone about Shorthorn breeding.

My old herd sire came up short on the semen stick, so I'll be stumbling around around there somewhere, looking at some of the animals that I can't afford :lol:

Rod

DiamondS,
You'll be seeing the Mollenbecks there, say Hi to them for me! How from Saskatioon are you?

randiliana,
If you want to talk to more Shorthorn breeders, I could give you two if you would pm me. That all have really good stock!

DiamondSCattleCo":2cz5h6hd said:
I'm not sure how close you all are to Saskatoon, but if you want to get intimately familiar with Shorthorn breeding, The Who's Your Daddy bull sale is on April 6th. Its being held at Saskatoon Livestock Sales. There will a pile of leading Shorthorn breeders at this sale, who will be more than willing to talk to just about anyone about Shorthorn breeding.

My old herd sire came up short on the semen stick, so I'll be stumbling around around there somewhere, looking at some of the animals that I can't afford :lol:

Rod

We were thinking of going, but we are 4 hours away, I have to work that day, and we are still calving :D. We got the catalog, and there are some pretty good bulls there.

In fact tho, the guy called about the 3 year old last night and we decided to go ahead and buy him. I will post a couple pictures. He is a pretty good looking fellow (at least I think so).

Anyways, I am not too worried about the shorthorn bloodlines, I was just wondering about this specific bull.

Good luck with your shopping :D

randiliana":2cyz3bru said:
Good luck with your shopping :D

Yeah, I hate going to these sales. My tastes run too expensive for my pocketbook to support. I went to Saskvalley's ranch this January, picked out 6 bulls, and discovered that 3 of the buggers were show winners. Good for eye, bad for my cheque book :(

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":3hw437lk said:
Yeah, I hate going to these sales. My tastes run too expensive for my pocketbook to support. I went to Saskvalley's ranch this January, picked out 6 bulls, and discovered that 3 of the buggers were show winners. Good for eye, bad for my cheque book :(

Rod

You suffer from the same disease as us. We have learned, pick out 3 bulls, then go out there and pick out 3 more because the first 3 will go waaaaaaay to high :shock:

Latest posts