Anyone have experience

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

One more time! ...with any of the following: Murray Grey x Black Angus, Piedmontese x Black Angus, Gelbvieh x Black Angus? Primary objectives are lean, quality beef; efficiency, docility, and calving ease. Thanks for input.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Gelbveigh and angus is one very good cross. Simmi angus is another good cross. You will need to chose your gelbviegh carefully for calving ease. Gelbveigh can be a little flaky when in heat. pat

> One more time! ...with any of the
> following: Murray Grey x Black
> Angus, Piedmontese x Black Angus,
> Gelbvieh x Black Angus? Primary
> objectives are lean, quality beef;
> efficiency, docility, and calving
> ease. Thanks for input.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Depends on what you're looking very. Very lean high quality meat Gelbvieh or SimmenthalXAngus. If you are looking for a little smaller animal that will dress out earlier, MGXAngus. More milk and maybe too much in the Gelbvish or Simmenthal if you will be keeping replacments, and a larger frame.

dun

> Gelbveigh and angus is one very
> good cross. Simmi angus is another
> good cross. You will need to chose
> your gelbviegh carefully for
> calving ease. Gelbveigh can be a
> little flaky when in heat. pat
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I know that Pieds aren't so easy to calve, in my personal experience I A.I. some cows (different breeds) with Pieds and Belgians and I had probelms with 3 out of 5. I don't have any experience with Murrays nor Gelbvieh, but I could suggest to go with Simmental and Angus or Brangus cross that way you will still have an Angus influence that I think you are looking for
> One more time! ...with any of the
> following: Murray Grey x Black
> Angus, Piedmontese x Black Angus,
> Gelbvieh x Black Angus? Primary
> objectives are lean, quality beef;
> efficiency, docility, and calving
> ease. Thanks for input.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

The crosses dad had were good growth, maternal and easy keepers for the most part. The calves grew well and perform in the feedlot. We have one 15/16 gelbveigh heifer left, most of the rest were sold to other feeder calf producers as seed stock. We are slowly converting to registered black angus herd. I have no problem recommending simmi angus or geblveigh angus for crossbred cattle. I think 3/4 + angus and the rest simmi or geblviegh makes one of the best feeder calves.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

OK Lets see...If I have a Black Brangus that 3/8 Braham and 5/8 Angus , and you cross it with a Black Angus, and the offspring you cross with a Angus, Well Here is the point , by the time you make the cross 4 or 5 times you basiclly have a angus, right? Or at least Simm, Limo, even Gel. breeders work this way...Or there would not be Black animals in there herd...? Or at least they know the value of Black Angus. Now I miss the Murry Gray point. As I see it , they are just a off color Angus. I know shorthorn , angus cross but small gene pool?

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

The small gene pool results from all MGs being descended from one cow, several different bulls, but one cow. The same as all Santa Gertrudis descend from one bull "Monkey".

dun

> OK Lets see...If I have a Black
> Brangus that 3/8 Braham and 5/8
> Angus , and you cross it with a
> Black Angus, and the offspring you
> cross with a Angus, Well Here is
> the point , by the time you make
> the cross 4 or 5 times you
> basiclly have a angus, right? Or
> at least Simm, Limo, even Gel.
> breeders work this way...Or there
> would not be Black animals in
> there herd...? Or at least they
> know the value of Black Angus. Now
> I miss the Murry Gray point. As I
> see it , they are just a off color
> Angus. I know shorthorn , angus
> cross but small gene pool?
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I don't think you understand how the upgrading process works. When Simmental, Gelbvieh, etc. came across from Europe, people A.I'd their Black Angus cows to a continental bull. The resulting black heifer females were bred back to a continental bull resulting in abother black female. This was done for 3 generations to give you a purebred Simmental or Gelbvieh female. Bulls had to be one more generation to be considered pure. (Females are pure in Simmental at 7/8 and males at 15/16.) Black is the dominant color. They were upgraded more so in Canada from a Hereford base.

I am sure you know that the reason for this was the lack of any kind of performance in the belt buckle type cattle that existed at the time.

If the Angus and Hereford associations at the time would have been smart they would have opened their herdbooks at that time and allowed reverse upgrading. If they had, there would not have been any more than a few breeds in North America today.

> OK Lets see...If I have a Black
> Brangus that 3/8 Braham and 5/8
> Angus , and you cross it with a
> Black Angus, and the offspring you
> cross with a Angus, Well Here is
> the point , by the time you make
> the cross 4 or 5 times you
> basiclly have a angus, right? Or
> at least Simm, Limo, even Gel.
> breeders work this way...Or there
> would not be Black animals in
> there herd...? Or at least they
> know the value of Black Angus. Now
> I miss the Murry Gray point. As I
> see it , they are just a off color
> Angus. I know shorthorn , angus
> cross but small gene pool?
 
OP
A

Anonymous

What I think is the Murry Greyswas a accidental cross that was pretty thus the cattleman keep them as a gift for his wife..Not a serious upgrading process,in fact they like to lost the Murry Grey line due to lack for of a controlled breeding process.. But I love Shorthorns, and Angus are the best ... Thus their cross would stand to reason be a good one.... Now as to the st. Gerts. Those cowboys , I think knew what they were doing and what they were looking for...ALF..

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Look I think I been watching over sized cont. breeds profit on Black Angus gentic for 25 years... And explain how after 3 or4 cross you get pure bred again? Bottom Line after you cross something, a hundred cross later it is still now a pure breed reguardless of what a asso. saies... Black Angus did not open their herd books for good reason,they are tring to keep them clean..So that cross breeders have them(Black Angus) to use on there cattle... When Simms. were spotted and Limms. were red or blond .. Angus were still angus.Black ,Polled, good mothers, good milkers,and easy to handle..Now some say what the different between Black and Red, simple ? I wonder what the USA cattle herd would be like if the Black Angus did not exist....For one thing, look at all the "Breeds" that would not be here, and we could quit talking about the black and red thing...ALF...

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

With MGs it doesn't matter how they got there, it's that they did. Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while! Maybe it was just a damn lucky accident, but there have been a lot of great discoveries made by chance/accident. Also, I was addressing the gene pool, not the qualities.

dun

> What I think is the Murry Greyswas
> a accidental cross that was pretty
> thus the cattleman keep them as a
> gift for his wife..Not a serious
> upgrading process,in fact they
> like to lost the Murry Grey line
> due to lack for of a controlled
> breeding process.. But I love
> Shorthorns, and Angus are the best
> ... Thus their cross would stand
> to reason be a good one.... Now as
> to the st. Gerts. Those cowboys ,
> I think knew what they were doing
> and what they were looking
> for...ALF..
 

Latest posts

Top