Anyone have experience with dental implants?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
My dad, as a lot of you know, is about stage six Alzheimers. Of course, he's shrinking, losing weight and all that. He still wears his dentures, though, and has managed to keep up with them. He threw Mom's away, but that's another story...

Anyway, his bottom plate started rubbing him and I took him to a dentist to see if he could have a liner put in them so they would fit better. She said that wasn't going to do any good because he just didn't have enough bone in his jaw to hold a plate and that the only way to fix it would be to do two dental implants to anchor a lower.

It isn't the cost, so much... He's got some money he could spend down. I just wonder if it will improve his quality of life vs. the discomfort, recovery, getting used to them... would be. Especially since he's 87 and has a terminal disease. His lower plate really bothers him and he still is eating regular meals and all.

If anyone of you have had dental implants, please impart your experiences with me, as far as discomfort, recovery, hygene and all that. I can google this stuff all day long, but I'd like to hear from my CT family.

Lammie, you may be in luck. Several years ago I went through an instantaneous tooth extraction where I lost almost every tooth in my mouth. What shards of ivory I didn't take to the hospital imbedded in my tongue was scattered all over he77 and back. Wasn't a good day to be me. After about three months of different work I was given a new set of teeth anchored in various ways to my mouth. Some are the implants. If any good can be said about the whole ordeal I will say I've got a better set of teeth now than what the Lord gave me and I hold both demerol and morphine in very high regard but I'm glad I can't freely buy it. I'm very pleased with mine if that helps.

UUmm,Jo,you can't just leave it at that-- What the heck happened? :shock: If you've told it before,I plead chemo... :oops:

Many many moons ago in a different life I worked for a dentist. Back when the implant thing
first was being developed. It was a big deal then, but it's pretty common now. I'd ask
the dentist about how long it takes for recovery. Used to be several months for the implant
to be stable, but I'm pretty sure things are drastically better now. It's a good procedure
for folks with your dad's jaw problem - my mom's was the same way. If they can do it
without too much sedation, even better. My stage six dad wouldn't be able to recover
well from that. It might really help your dad and keep him eating well, and that's an issue
most alzheimer's patients have as you know. Good luck either way! He's blessed to have
you looking after him.

I'd think about the pain involved and the trips to the dentist for an elderly person. I think its about 3 months of back and forth before it done, and even with novicaine I think its some discomfort, not sure its worth it for your dad, as he has other health conditions also.

GMN

Well, thanks for the varying perspectives. I am, of course, getting a second opinion from another dentist. This one will come to the NH to examine him and we can go from there. Of course, it's a Medicaid dentist, so I will be interested to hear from that perspective. The other dentist wanted two thousand dollars for the two implants she wanted to do. I guess that's about the going rate. I hate to see him in pain, and he can't take opiates. They make him strip nekkid and attempt escape from wherever he is. I already warned the first dentist about that. And I'm not sure that he wouldn't have to be knocked out totally, as he doesn't take locals very well. Never has. Any day surgery procedure, he has to be knocked out or gut it out. He used to gut out stitches.

I'm not taking him to Fort Worth to a dentist. That kind of travel is just out for him now. He doesn't tolerate it very well. I guess there might be a dentist in Granbury who can do it.

So many considerations...

peg4x4":nvoh01zc said:
UUmm,Jo,you can't just leave it at that-- What the heck happened? :shock: If you've told it before,I plead chemo... :oops:
i wonder was it right after he yelled hey ya'll watch this

GMN":11ejolh1 said:
I'd think about the pain involved and the trips to the dentist for an elderly person. I think its about 3 months of back and forth before it done, and even with novicaine I think its some discomfort, not sure its worth it for your dad, as he has other health conditions also.

GMN

Lammie I didn't mean to imply that the dental work was painful cause it wasn't. My dental work was all done with novacaine and it wasn't painful at all. The morph and demoral was for the other injuries. It did take some time about two sittings in the chair but once the swelling went down it wasn't bad at all. I was a little scared of them at first cause they were new. I'd try to be gentle with them for fear but once the new wore off I can't tell any difference. The worst part of the whole procedure was the sound of the equipment and having someone poking around in my mouth.

peg4x4":11ejolh1 said:

Never talked about it Peg. Seems I was just standing in the wrong spot but its one of those things that is best forgotten. I'm just glad I was the only one hurt cause the doctors agreed that they had never seen anyone with this type injuries get up and walk away breathing. I still deal with pain every day and with age it seems to get worse but I know there are some wonderful pain killers out there if I ever choose to accept them. (just thinking about demerol makes my mouth water) :lol2: :lol2:

TexasBred":nx4xtfgf said:
My dentist said he wouldnt' do implants on anyone that smokes...don't ask me why...

I think that has something to do with dry sockets. Heard something about that myself.