Anyone have experience with 3pt wheel rake

Help Support CattleToday:

luke03cr

Reaction score
We just purchased a 3pt wheel rake. it has 4 wheels made by sitrex. There user manuel is very vague and having never used this type of rake i was looking to see the advice and tricks that yal use for operating this type of hay rake, which will save me countless hours and headaches of learning on the fly when ive got hay in the field. Thanks yal.

luke03cr":x0z5dunk said:
We just purchased a 3pt wheel rake. it has 4 wheels made by sitrex. There user manuel is very vague and having never used this type of rake i was looking to see the advice and tricks that yal use for operating this type of hay rake, which will save me countless hours and headaches of learning on the fly when ive got hay in the field. Thanks yal.
learning how to rake with it will be the easy part.its hooking an unhooking that devil thatll be a pain in the backside.

I used an eight wheel v rake that was three point hook up for years.
Caustic.jpg

i have owned one nearly 20 years ,it rakes good. i guess you need to watch 2 things.the rake angle and down pressure.if you put too much down pressure it will tend to bend fingers ,not enough it will not rake.the rake angle varies between heavy and light hay.when i first got it i kept trying to adjust the angle wide as possible to cover more ground.then you hit heavy hay it stops up.finally i narrowed it up ,where it would not stop up ,and left it.

Does the angle that u set with the adjustible top link on the hitch matter? I guess it would pitch the rake slightly forward or back?

luke03cr":ai56ek25 said:
Does the angle that u set with the adjustible top link on the hitch matter? I guess it would pitch the rake slightly forward or back?

Yes the angle of the wheels makes a difference. I like them leaning back on the topside so the fingers are lifting and moving the hay.

CB - You wouldn't have a rear view of that rake folded up like that would you?

I have a 10 wheel rake (5 on a side) and for the life of me cannot get it figured out to fold it up for going down the road. It was on the place when I bought it, and as of right now I have no use to take it anywhere, but maybe someday.

I think I will end up taking the front wheels off each side since my mower is only 10feet and they pull too far out when raking. I can't narrow them up without making the windrow too wide for the baler to pick up.

chukar":3bfezsv7 said:
CB - You wouldn't have a rear view of that rake folded up like that would you?

I have a 10 wheel rake (5 on a side) and for the life of me cannot get it figured out to fold it up for going down the road. It was on the place when I bought it, and as of right now I have no use to take it anywhere, but maybe someday.

I think I will end up taking the front wheels off each side since my mower is only 10feet and they pull too far out when raking. I can't narrow them up without making the windrow too wide for the baler to pick up.

Before I sold the hay equipment a couple of year's ago I was still using them. Mine had a pin you pulled and just rolled the rake to the upright postion when the rake was up and re pinned. Let me look and see if I still have the instuction pamplet in the shop, If I do I will mail it to you. There was a ten wheel model in the book.
The picture in the book showed them folding up like the P5 series.
http://www.edneyco.com/assets/files/cat ... 0Rakes.pdf

I found the operator's manual not much to it. I don't know if it will help it is for series 74-79-90 Tonutti three point hitch hay rakes. Your welcome to it if you want pm me your address and I will mail it to you.

Caustic Burno":txvfsf5k said:
chukar":txvfsf5k said:
Thanks. I would take you up. On that.

It's in the mail and on the way. Don't get your hopes way up as Tonutti didn't go way out of there way to produce an operator's manual.

I had a Tonutti v rake once. It was pretty light made. Yours looks better made than mine was.

Got the deal in the mail CB, thank you.

dang thunderstorms have slowed progress on the haying, but don't want to complain about any moisture.