Anyone have any Complement heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

I used his son EF Commando last year and the cows are calving now, good low birthweights, nicely built calves, basically the same deal as Complement, I am using him on some of my big frame cows and am hoping for plenty of growth in a thicker more nuggety frame. I will let you know in about 12 months how they go.

Ken

Thanks

I have some cows that are really good but I believe he has what I need to make better replacements

Complements heifer pregnancy EPD would concern me. He scores in the lowest 5% for that number and there have been 124 reports on heifer pregnancy turned in, so there is decent accuracy. His daughters are likely to be harder to get pregnant as heifers. If having a calf by the age of two is important to you, I would maybe look elsewhere.

Katpau":5027vxbt said:
Complements heifer pregnancy EPD would concern me. He scores in the lowest 5% for that number and there have been 124 reports on heifer pregnancy turned in, so there is decent accuracy. His daughters are likely to be harder to get pregnant as heifers. If having a calf by the age of two is important to you, I would maybe look elsewhere.

The last time we AI bred our heifers, that was what turned me away from using him. I am not exactly sure how much credence to put into some of those EPD's but he was really low in that area. When using AI I like to try and find a bull that lines it all up in terms of traits that are applicable to what my goals are. If keeping or even selling heifers for replacements, then getting them bred is an issue of major importance.

What angus ABS bull would recommend them for making good heifers and pulling frame size down a little.

kentuckyguy":1zmiwkxw said:
What angus ABS bull would recommend them for making good heifers and pulling frame size down a little.
Bruiser or Consensus 7229

kentuckyguy":1tnkqkll said:

Hoover Dam is one that I have liked. However someone on this forum posted a few weeks or so ago that they used him and didn't get any conception from the semen. We had good conception rates when used him but that was a few years ago and lots of things can happen over time. I really hated to hear that someone had that problems with the semen, as Hoover Dam is one of my favorite Angus Bulls. Power Tool is another bull that we used. Haven't kept any heifers as we sold them as bred heifers, but they looked pretty good to me at the time they were sold.

I 2nd ky hills. Love Hoover dam. We got along well with ours as far as conception. Daughters have very nice udders, milk well, and very docile.

Ky hills":2i6m3gb2 said:
kentuckyguy":2i6m3gb2 said:

Hoover Dam is one that I have liked. However someone on this forum posted a few weeks or so ago that they used him and didn't get any conception from the semen. We had good conception rates when used him but that was a few years ago and lots of things can happen over time. I really hated to hear that someone had that problems with the semen, as Hoover Dam is one of my favorite Angus Bulls. Power Tool is another bull that we used. Haven't kept any heifers as we sold them as bred heifers, but they looked pretty good to me at the time they were sold.

I used Hoover Dam for the first time this year and it appears all cows bred to him conceived via AI on the first try. Based on all of the people who have used him and all of the calves he has produced, I don't think there is a problem with his semen. If there was an ongoing issue, I think we would hear more about it. By all reports it seems people love Hoover Dam. You don't really ever hear anything negative about him.

I've debated on using Hickok consensus 7229 or black pearl. I'm just really not sure what effect they will have on frame size.

I've got some good cows but most weigh over 1600lbs. I would really like to bring that down a little.

kentuckyguy":2n418kie said:
I've debated on using Hickok consensus 7229 or black pearl. I'm just really not sure what effect they will have on frame size.

I've got some good cows but most weigh over 1600lbs. I would really like to bring that down a little.
7229 should bring their frame size down. I believe that Hickock has a bigger frame than his sire, but should also moderate a 1600# cow's calf. Not sure about Black Pearl but I think that Sydgen is known for larger framed cattle.. jscunn posts on here and I believe he uses alot of Sydgen and could speak for Black Pearl..

Latest posts