Anyone got a "man cave"?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Been working the last few months on my "man cave". I have an extra room above the garage where my F-16 is parked and I've been wanting to turn this into a home theater. Been re-wiring, sheet rocking and can see the end is near. Before I get to the short rows does anyone have a "man cave" and if so is there anything I need to consider before I wrap up the project.

If it turns out as expected, I think I'll lay myself off and go into hybernation for 4-8 years depending on the economy.

Mine got taken over by my daugthers to use as a pretend school house... I had to hand in my man card over that issue. :oops:

I've got a friend that has one. Does his own taxidermy and about every square inch of wall has a mount on it. His wife won't let him put his taxidermy in the house. The doorway to the manroom is like the demilitarized zone line between North and South Korea.

:D My brother-in-law in Birmingham has one in the bottom of his and my sister's house. I thought he had made that word up when he called it a man cave. Sure, he has a giant screen tv in it, but what I like is the fully stocked bar and the huge selection of hunting and fishing literature.

I've been taking this thing slow and steady over the last several months - ok two years. :oops: The technology is amazing. I can remember everyone gathering in the room on Saturday nights and watching Hee Haw and Lawrence Welk and having to wiggle the rabbit ears or keeping your hand raised for good reception. Now, I can't even seem to get on the learning curve as the technology is unbelievable. I imagine all this stuff will be dirt cheap and obsolete in a few years though. I just wonder what we will have in another 20 years.

Jogeephus":397jfddr said:
I've been taking this thing slow and steady over the last several months - ok two years. :oops: The technology is amazing. I can remember everyone gathering in the room on Saturday nights and watching Hee Haw and Lawrence Welk and having to wiggle the rabbit ears or keeping your hand raised for good reception. Now, I can't even seem to get on the learning curve as the technology is unbelievable. I imagine all this stuff will be dirt cheap and obsolete in a few years though. I just wonder what we will have in another 20 years.

Same cave, different technology.

The drink box in the summer and pot belly stove in the winter - keeps my husband lots of company in his man cave.

Joe, I spend some time almost everyday in my mancave couldn't do without it. All my cool stuff is in there. For instance maps, information, tons of books [History, Geography, photography, hunting, magazines etc]. All the man things I have, not tidy but I know where everything is. Heated with a wood stove I can handle -30 no problem. Decorated nicely with junk I've come across while on some adventure. Such as old rifles, wagon spokes, a pick axe, couple old shovels, to many items to mention, and lots and lots of antlers, sheds and my trophies of all sizes. Yup! all guys need a mancave.

I picked up the paint this morning and am going to start painting after I finish procrastinating. Since I want the paint job to look professional but am too tight to hire someone that actually knows what they are doing, I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of alcohol professional painters prefer. I am nearly certain that without such nerve tonic, I will be left with but a shred of sanity when I'm done. :nod: :drink:

Jogeephus":sw8ftj74 said:
I picked up the paint this morning and am going to start painting after I finish procrastinating. Since I want the paint job to look professional but am too tight to hire someone that actually knows what they are doing, I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of alcohol professional painters prefer. I am nearly certain that without such nerve tonic, I will be left with but a shred of sanity when I'm done. :nod: :drink:

If you want to be a real professional, go pick up some of that $6.95 a 5th 'tater vodka. That'll get you rocking and painting quick. Let me know how that headache works out for you...

Jogeephus":eiko80nu said:

Don't know nothing about paint, I got all rough pine. I learned it helps to have at least a 12 pack before diving into things helps. :nod:

mnmtranching":2yz1mopc said:
Jogeephus":2yz1mopc said:

Don't know nothing about paint, I got all rough pine. I learned it helps to have at least a 12 pack before diving into things helps. :nod:

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing some pics of your "man cave" last year. Yours is like Mammoth Cave while mine I beliece is going to be more like a gopher hole. :oops: Of course, if you run out of room for antlers and such, I'd be glad to take that old set of squigly deformed antlers off your hands. ;-) :nod: :lol2:

Oh, I finished painting and got all the brushes washed up and was admiring my mess when I realized I forgot to paint a 2'x2' section underneath a built in desk. :shock: Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

I've posted pictures of my trophy room / man cave on here before. Since that time I have added a nice cherry desk, dual computer monitors, 37" HDTV and a small dorm type refrigerator. I have cool stuff in there like plenty of guns, maps, guitars, ammo, WW2 memorabilia, home recording studio stuff, old metal Remington Arms signs, a cool sleeper sofa with heavy built coffee table and end tables. Its only steps away from the bathroom. Under the right circumstances I could hibernate in here for several months :cboy:

Jogeephus":21twtz5r said:
I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of alcohol professional painters prefer. I am nearly certain that without such nerve tonic, I will be left with but a shred of sanity when I'm done. :nod: :drink:

That's a doggone good question. Every painter I ever hired was an alcoholic. Last few things I've had painted, I did myself. I suggest drink a double caf latte, paint till you get to a stopping point, then sit back with a whiskey sour made with George Dickle and start back tomorrow. Might take a few days, but it'll be worth the time.

HOSS":2bc6pa16 said:
I've posted pictures of my trophy room / man cave on here before.

I remember that room, didn't realize it was your "man cave". It was nice. I seem to remember you had a lot of cherry in the house as well. Cherry is my favorite wood. I got a bundle of it in the barn and one day I hope to find the time to start back making some furniture and stuff for the house.

ga. prime":2bc6pa16 said:
whiskey sour made with George Dickle

Now that sounds good. Haven't had either in quite some time. My neck is hurting so I might have to whine some to the family to give me a good excuse to break a seal and see whether or not they've started putting worms in the bottom of those bottles. :nod:

Jogeephus":efihbykw said:
HOSS":efihbykw said:
I've posted pictures of my trophy room / man cave on here before.

I remember that room, didn't realize it was your "man cave". It was nice. I seem to remember you had a lot of cherry in the house as well. Cherry is my favorite wood. I got a bundle of it in the barn and one day I hope to find the time to start back making some furniture and stuff for the house.

ga. prime":efihbykw said:
whiskey sour made with George Dickle

Now that sounds good. Haven't had either in quite some time. My neck is hurting so I might have to whine some to the family to give me a good excuse to break a seal and see whether or not they've started putting worms in the bottom of those bottles. :nod:

A real painter may have preferences. I hired some folks who favored Bacardi. But I think at the end of the day, alcohol is alcohol.
Jo, a few days ago you advised us that hardwoods were weeds. Now you confess a weakness for cherry. We have had some cherry sawed over the years. Gorgeous stuff. It would make super paneling for a "man cave". A friend of the folks is a better furniture man than anyone in the family, so he has made a couple very nice pieces.
The Seelbach Hotel in Louisville, Ky has a bar which is a real man cave. All wood paneling and leather seating. I highly recommend it, if you ever get in the area. I think they have had the same Jazz trio playing for 110 yrs.

The George Dickell distillery is only a few miles from me. They made up a ton of that stuff several years ago and let it age. They actually shut down operations for a few years while it aged in an old warehouse. They reopened for distilling a couple of years ago. That aged stuff is premium I bet. Dickell is very easy to get this close to the source. Come to think of it Jack Daniel's distillery is only a half hour drive too. If those two ever have a major spill we will be drunk for a week just on fumes :lol:

john250":10i9onns said:
Jo, a few days ago you advised us that hardwoods were weeds.
Ain't it so. ;-) Some of them hardwood "weeds" get mighty expensive when bought by the piece. :nod:
Now for a single feller, the whole house is a mancave. :cboy:

To go with the painters breakfast and lunch, you need to find something to lacquer, preferably in a small, unventilated room. Those weeds look real nice schlaquered :lol: .

skyline":1d1khip2 said:
Mine got taken over by my daugthers to use as a pretend school house... I had to hand in my man card over that issue. :oops:

I've got a friend that has one. Does his own taxidermy and about every square inch of wall has a mount on it. His wife won't let him put his taxidermy in the house. The doorway to the manroom is like the demilitarized zone line between North and South Korea.

I know the feeling skyline, if I get something with 6 drawers in it I'm lucky to end up with 2 . Every table has some makeup or curling irons on it . I'm out numbered, but I guess that's ok .

Larry

john250":1ws63olk said:
a few days ago you advised us that hardwoods were weeds.

And they are. They are just purdy weeds as is walnut and green ash. :lol2:

HOSS":1ws63olk said:
Come to think of it Jack Daniel's distillery is only a half hour drive too.

I toured that distillery a few years ago. I was impressed by what a methodist minister had created. Now Hoss, that's where you need to buy some cow feed.

larryshoat":1ws63olk said:
skyline":1ws63olk said:

I know the feeling skyline, if I get something with 6 drawers in it I'm lucky to end up with 2 . Every table has some makeup or curling irons on it . I'm out numbered, but I guess that's ok .

The girls came home from shopping and I'm sensing a coup is in the works. I'm hearing words like swatches and balances all terms that I'm sure are counterproductive to the cave system. Can't be sure how serious this coupe will be but they are suddenly extremely interested in running the show now. Oh well, such is the life of a fix-it man. :oops:

Latest posts