Anyone go to the S A V sale?

Help Support CattleToday:

He told me last week he was going to buy him no matter what. Linebred to 4136, 0075. I am going to go all out and breed all my cows , heifers , and commercials to him.

I guess the question for me is "why?"

There are 100's of bulls from there available via AI for $5 and up. If you hit it right you will get one that is "more sensational for a year" and earn some % semen income but likely never enough to pay for the bull. This great or more sensational purchased son of a bull is supposed to be a better bull than sons he already has out of great cows he and his family have been fitting to their environment for years? If his are not as good or better then the buyer and his family have been wasting their time for decades and do not know how to breed cattle at home. And next year - the bulls bred the same way will be even better than 2021. Where's P. T. Barnum when you need him to give a quote! Unless it is a tax game.

Same argument for the small bull sales promo - be a herd quitter. The implication is that the average cow guy is dumb as a rock to be mainstream but enlightenment only occurs and IQ increases when you become an apostle of the small frame and bull selling guru. This does not compute on either case!

Someone with 50 cows doesn't sell very many bulls. I have lately seen some President sons that should have been steers, maybe it was the momma's fault.
I recently visited a seedstock operation with over 500 registered head. He had around 20 yearling bulls to choose from. They were all very nice bulls. I asked the owner how many bulls he sold and he said typically 30-40 bulls make the cut. He said it's not worth it to him to sell bulls if he doesn't feel they are nearly perfect. I know that he has a long line of repeat customers.

I recently visited a seedstock operation with over 500 registered head. He had around 20 yearling bulls to choose from. They were all very nice bulls. I asked the owner how many bulls he sold and he said typically 30-40 bulls make the cut. He said it's not worth it to him to sell bulls if he doesn't feel they are nearly perfect. I know that he has a long line of repeat customers.
Care to share who it was? I'll be needing a couple of bulls soon. You can send me a PM if you prefer. Thanks

Yes, I buy most bulls from a guy who calves roughly 1200 cows and sells 350 to 400 bulls annually. I pick the middle out of them that fit our operation. These are the Angus end of our breeding. The Charolais bulls mostly come from two young brothers who are starting out and doing things right.

Someone with 50 cows doesn't sell very many bulls. I have lately seen some President sons that should have been steers, maybe it was the momma's fault.
I purchased a couple embroyos off Larry Coleman . He told me ," President is the best of the flush, and President has the most muscle." I will take his word for it.

I was at the sale and purchased some animals. Schaff's have some very adaptive genetics that seem to be working in our environment. I won't be using any of the America sons. However there are some useful cattle there that fit what we need. Most of which are not derived from charlo.
I've started to sell some bulls and the key seems to be a sharp knife. Run the cows harder than your customers do and give them a product that lasts and fits the environment

Not a Charlo fan myself. Our daughter bought 5 straws of sexed female Raindance for her herd. The yearling heifers have a nice enough look to them aside from one that is really coarse made through her front half. Not my type I have to say. I wont say I will never use any of the Charlo genetics but at this point I am not looking to.

Looks like our old friend Branded got a deal on his America son. I am going to go out on a limb and say the America progeny don't quite exhibit the phenotype of their sire.

Check out #105 and #106....do these look like impressive 2 year old bulls? I'm not trying to bad mouth anybodies cattle, just wondering what you think.

Latest posts