Anyone ever

Help Support CattleToday:

Never seen or used one but sight is always better then feel. I see no reason it shouldn't work. Except maybe for the mirror may fog up.
Their use of the word "gently" in the instructions kind of cracked me up. Have they never seen a real bull breed a cow? It is anything but gentle!

The guy here says about $225. Says that conception improves 10-15%, but I can't find any info about that on the net. Offered to let me try one and I think I'm going to take him up on that, but still a few weeks away from breeding.

AI in goats is done visually. The advantage I see is that those of us with arthirits in the hands or those that are so inept that they can;t get a feel for what's going on would have an equal chance of success.

dun

dun":zjg2sqfe said:
AI in goats is done visually. The advantage I see is ... those that are so inept that they can;t get a feel for what's going on would have an equal chance of success.

dun

That's the main reason I'm interested in trying it although the claim is that it also helps you time your insemination better. My concern is how do you know the tip is through the cervix but not in a horn. I'm thinking of trying a hybrid technique at first to confirm the location of the gun before insemination.

gberry":nux0i47c said:
dun":nux0i47c said:
AI in goats is done visually. The advantage I see is ... those that are so inept that they can;t get a feel for what's going on would have an equal chance of success.

dun

That's the main reason I'm interested in trying it although the claim is that it also helps you time your insemination better. My concern is how do you know the tip is through the cervix but not in a horn. I'm thinking of trying a hybrid technique at first to confirm the location of the gun before insemination.

With goats we didn;t penetrate completely though the cervix. We passed 2 rings by feel and deposited the semen there.

dun

It seems that without the ability to grasp the cerivix and manipulate it you would be pushing he the pipette through the cervix instead of threading the cervix over the pipette

dun

dun":3n3vi9tw said:
With goats we didn;t penetrate completely though the cervix. We passed 2 rings by feel and deposited the semen there.

dun

The guy who's recommending this says that you don't really need to check it, but I'm going to try to for the first few anyhow. My thought is that as a beginner, this may cut down significantly on the time it takes to get the straw into the cervix and thus make the whole process more efficient (and hopefully more effective)

Latest posts