Anyone ever use this?

Help Support CattleToday:

Have never used them myself, but have a good friend who is a very successful stocker operator that uses them for worming calves on lease places that don't have good corrals. He has used them for several years and seems to be pleased with the blocks.

I use cubes that have Safegard in them when worming again. Just my preference as my cattle are used to eating pellets/cubes. FWIW-I use Cydectin pour-on when cattle are initially processed.

easily administered
easily overused in this form which contributes to parasite resistance.
old medication been around for decades.
was fading in effectiveness before ivermectins came along
I have recently added safeguard back into my worming rotation becasue I have not used it for twenty years.
I still prefer to do a positive worming and know that every animal got treated at a proper dose and that I am not leaving seed animals out there to continually shed the parasites.

I will use safeguard pellets for the horses because they readily eat them and just shut em all in their stall till all feed is gone. that way the boss mare does not get it all.

ive used this ...for the 10 -14 head u are talking about only leave the block with them for no more than 4 days.

I have used this product aswell but not sure that all the cattle get a fair share. I have cows and calves together and I believe the cows eat most of the wormer. Some of the calves are all slicked out and some still have some long hair in places.
~Tom

TN

Another alternative is putting pour-on wormer into a syringe w/o needle and squirting it on. When doing several, I use a pistol grip and set for the appropriate doseage then squirt away. Lots of ways to worm cattle without running them thru the chute.

Matthew_Morrow":1c3uqea5 said:
ive used this ...for the 10 -14 head u are talking about only leave the block with them for no more than 4 days.

Do I need to take this out after day 4 even if there is still some left?

Do I need to take it out if there is some left and can I save it and use it for another group of calves later? I'm taking it out tomorrow afternoon and there looks to be at least half of it left. We'll see come tomorrow afternoon.

i never use this......but i heard about that from one of my friends......he used it....but i was no interested then.....

:roll:

now i m thinking about that.....may be i will in future

Latest posts