Anyone ever use this feed ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Is that the product Southern States calls beef extender? If it is, I wasn't blown away by it.

They sell one here call Beef Extender that is a commodity blend pellet, seems ok but they got high on it in bags. Bulk was a decent price. Slightly different fat and protein.

No, haven't tried it or seen any SS feed around here, but let's try this:
22u.jpg

Bigfoot":17k5t5zr said:
Is that the product Southern States calls beef extender? If it is, I wasn't blown away by it.

na just says beef and stock i think i will look at one of the bags today and take picture thanks grey i couldnt figure how in the .... the pic got like that. Would I be better off just feeding sweet feed?

Should be dirt cheap. Nothing but grain by-products and roughage products normally meaning wheat midds and rice hulls. Not a drop of "grain" mentioned. As someone once said "it will make a turd". :nod:

Dunno--I don't intentionally use any sweet feed except to get weaners started--and not much then.
The label above looks like any 12% all stock type feed mixture. A little higher in crude fiber than I would want this time of year (22%), but if you are feeding it in a lot and no grass or poor grass available, it might fit your needs, but even good cubes or pellet feed usually keeps fiber content down to 15%.
What are you using this feed for? Is this what you are going to use for feeding out/finishing the freezer beef you mentioned?

greybeard":2r74ul5o said:
Dunno--I don't intentionally use any sweet feed except to get weaners started--and not much then.
The label above looks like any 12% all stock type feed mixture. A little higher in crude fiber than I would want this time of year (22%), but if you are feeding it in a lot and no grass or poor grass available, it might fit your needs, but even good cubes or pellet feed usually keeps fiber content down to 15%.
What are you using this feed for? Is this what you are going to use for feeding out/finishing the freezer beef you mentioned?

Grey, I just wanted to fill my feeders with something that will help the calves gain a lil quicker and that won't break the bank to do so. I have plenty of good grass just trying to speed weight gain up some. I also was looking at this feed to see if that could be used for the finishing of the freezer beef as well. I never used it before just trying new things out and seeing how it works. Would this be better for to help finish off a freezer been over weight gain on some calves?

I have used it over time....
it is a cheap feed and you get what you pay for....
It was designed to go against Culpeper Coops MSG which a few years ago was real cheap.
now they are both unreasonable for what they are but they sell a lot of it so the price stays up.
both are basically wheat mids. soy hulls and corn gluten....
As Old Tom used to say....better than snowballs....
I have used it to supplement calves on tough sumer grass in hot years....
have actually used three similar products interchangably the two above and a purina product....ocassionally found dead mice in the barrel.....
got worried that someone might accidentally give the horses some of these cattle pellets and I no longer use them....switched to a cheap horse sweet feed to eliminate the possibility.

skyhightree1":2als9k0t said:
Grey, I just wanted to fill my feeders with something that will help the calves gain a lil quicker and that won't break the bank to do so. I have plenty of good grass just trying to speed weight gain up some. I also was looking at this feed to see if that could be used for the finishing of the freezer beef as well. I never used it before just trying new things out and seeing how it works. Would this be better for to help finish off a freezer been over weight gain on some calves?

Mix it 50:50 with corn and it will be a fairly good feed but definitely still not a good "finisher".

TexasBred":dtx5fxie said:
skyhightree1":dtx5fxie said:

Mix it 50:50 with corn and it will be a fairly good feed but definitely still not a good "finisher".

that was exactly what I did TexasBred. I grew two bulls out last year on half corn and half these pellets and about a pound of soy bean meal. one bull is breeding cows and the other is in the freezer.

gotcha that tells me what I need to do but what do you think is the best to make calves gain quicker.. I am planning on buying a few bottle calves and wondered if there was anything else i can help give them a boost with.

BOTTLE CALVES NEED PROTEIN....
AT LEAST 18% AND SOME FOLKS LIKE HIGHER...
AS THEY GROW YOU CAN GRADUALLY STEP THE PROTEIN DOWN....
i PREFER A SWEET FEED TO GET YOUNG CALVES STARTED.

Bigfoot":udjzcz78 said:
Tag is slightly different, but close. Neighbor feed some to some weaned calves and they did not do so great. I used it just as a treat to get cows up to work them and spray them. It was ok but a lot cheaper when I feed it.

skyhightree1":qtk5c561 said:
gotcha that tells me what I need to do but what do you think is the best to make calves gain quicker.. I am planning on buying a few bottle calves and wondered if there was anything else i can help give them a boost with.

Put a good high quality textured calf starter in front of them from day one. Maybe only a cup full for each to begin with. They'll eventually learn to eat it. Should be up to a couple pounds per day by weaning time.

tom4018":1nz16rff said:
Bigfoot":1nz16rff said:
Tag is slightly different, but close. Neighbor feed some to some weaned calves and they did not do so great. I used it just as a treat to get cows up to work them and spray them. It was ok but a lot cheaper when I feed it.

yeah when Culpepper Coop first started making MSG pellets it was like four dollars a bag. (50 lb). Over 8.00 now. near 9.00...