Anyone ever use one of these?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Found this while rambling in the woods. Thought it was interesting and everything still works! Don't know how old it is. My guess is 1930's.

IMG_0651.jpg

ok, I'll bite...does it have something to do with logging?

Alice

Not trying to hook ya. Its a square baler. We sure have come a long way. I thought it was kinda neat so I drug it out of the woods and gave it to a friend in the hay business.

Man nice find! What powers it? wheel drive? Looks like it's set up for a belt, but how?

This is the first one that I have seen that is powered by an engine. I helped bale with one that was turned by a mule rotating a turret. It was "Up Town" compared to stacking it in the loft loose.

mnmtranching":1ynqxh55 said:
Man nice find! What powers it? wheel drive? Looks like it's set up for a belt, but how?

I'm not sure what powers it. I remember grandaddy had a tractor with a big wheel on the side that he hooked a belt to and it ran a log saw. I assume this is the same principal. Learned about another one today like this one. A little more up to date though. It was made in 1934 so I assume this one was made in that time frame but I don't know. There is nothing on it that I can find.

Jogeephus":36oppluf said:
I remember grandaddy had a tractor with a big wheel on the side that he hooked a belt to and it ran a log saw.

I've got part of one of those sitting under a tree in a pasture.

dun

The first one I remember using was an old international with a flat head 4 cylinder mounted on front to drive it. It was a hand crank engine also. Modern compared to this one.

Is it the picture or are the fronwheels bigger then the back? If it was ground drive I could see it hooked to a fore cart behind a team.Z

MillIronQH":1inrggth said:
Is it the picture or are the fronwheels bigger then the back? If it was ground drive I could see it hooked to a fore cart behind a team.Z

You are right. They are different sizes. I think the belt went on the big wheel. Best we can figure, this drove all the gears and you had to hand feed the hay into the throat on top - left of wheel - and it then got packed through the rear. The further back you go the smaller the opening until it gets to the end. There it looks like you had to hand tie the bale.

Though this is primitive by our standards, it was probably the best thing on the market in its day. I also can't help but wonder how many people were injured by the open gears.

Jogeephus":30k9csct said:
MillIronQH":30k9csct said:

You are right. They are different sizes. I think the belt went on the big wheel. Best we can figure, this drove all the gears and you had to hand feed the hay into the throat on top - left of wheel - and it then got packed through the rear. The further back you go the smaller the opening until it gets to the end. There it looks like you had to hand tie the bale.

Though this is primitive by our standards, it was probably the best thing on the market in its day. I also can't help but wonder how many people were injured by the open gears.

They ran off a big belt that went back to a tractor flywheel...All those old tractors had flywheels of differing size- some of the old ones had multiple of differing size- than they came out with one size- but variable speed settings (just like a PTO)...Never used a belt driven baler but have many times a flywheel belt driven threshing machine...And those old belts were long and heavy- if they came whipping off they could break bones....