Anyone ever use Dwarfs Essex Rapeseed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
It was recommended by our seed company as a cheap helper to open up the ground, put nitrogen back in ground (or some more intelligent reason on a note at hm.) — but then hubby found an article saying it if it doesn't get tilled under before it flowers it can become a huge nuisance.
seed company of course closed today! 😁so asking here.
We paid pennies for it but wondering if we should use it today while planting annual ryegrass ONLY in a few really stubborn areas of our land where nothing grows good.

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Yes, rape is cheap and vigorous. We don't have problems with it reseeding, but we graze it hard. It is only a weed if the cows refuse to eat it.

It is better to plant cool season mixes that contain grasses and legumes and brasicas. But, un grazed brasicas can set seed easily. The only cool season seed we have trouble with is radishes, because they flower early and cattle do not clean them up. I guess radishes are a weed.

Last edited:
Yes my neighbor and the seed guy said cattle love it and for the pennies paid it really helps the soil. Grateful for your response
Radishes are another cover we thought of trying or turnips - glad u shared cattle don't clean up.
I'm new at trying to become regenerative' and don't want to use any more Herbicides. No offense to anyone who loves the old ways - I was raised in that way, I'm just trying to save our very damaged soil, which I believe will grow more healthy grass if my experiment works.
If not hubs will go back to his ways

Last edited:
one iteration of cover crops is not going to do much.....consecutive cover crops and grazing them rotationally will build the soil....in fact the cover crop grazing will outperform grass grazing in tonnage and nutrition. the trick is to keep your seeding cost under control these days....try a diverse multispecies cover crop and see what works....summer covers are extremely productive...
for damaged soil bale unrolling is also a tactic to try if possible.

I plant rape seed every year, for food plots though, not grazing. Grows like crazy and produces a lot of forage in a short period of time. As long as its grazed or mowed by next spring seeds won't be a problem. I'm not so sure about it putting nitrogen back in the soil. I would say its actually the opposite, brassicas love nitrogen and will use up all thats there. I usually apply some urea when I plant. Legumes are typically used to help restore N.