Anyone ever use a Powder River Value chute?

Help Support CattleToday:

Pharmer

Reaction score
I have been looking at squeeze chutes and saw a powder river value chute at Tractor supply for $1547. Do you all think this is too light a chute? Have any of you ever used one? Thanks

PHARMER,

I purchased a P-River Value chute recently and have worked 20 head through it for injections and worming. My " Commercials " weigh in at 800 to 1100, with the exception of the bull which might go to 1300. My green horn crew worked the chute, shot 'em and poured without incident. Well not quite,their leader managed to let the bull escape while culling some small calves. If you run cows in this weight range I think its a good buy. If you aren't a large operation and are running "lite" beef , the more rugged P-River and Priefert models may be a bit pricey.

I don't expect a problem with the bull. calves and remaining cows. The chute is pretty sturdy. I'm satisfied.

J

Try a thread search on "Powder River" - there are some interesting comments made on this topic.

Bez

Mine went back to Tractor Supply. Bent the front gate, traded for the XL. They had no problem returning it.

Couple of additional comments on squeeze chutes:

I have my Powder River Value chute on turf and it is not firmly tied or mounted to anything. It resides at the end of the alley attached loosely to the alley. Did this purposefully on advice from a cattleman friend. The rational is that a BIGUN rushing the gate will have big momentum. Allowing the chute to move ( some ) cushions the shoulders when the beast hits the gate and also spares the gate. Supposedly you won't hear %^#(*@ or ouch as often. Is this a common practice?

The value chute has a slick plate bottom with some cross pieces for traction.
Personally I would prefer it to be a little less slick. Don't like the idea of cow down on front knees when its head is in the gate. Thinking of adding more cross strips; but at same time I don't want to add enough to give them a race horse start gate. Comments :?:
Jay

When we were looking to buy a chute earlier this year we looked at about all of them. On thing I did not like about the PR value chute was the lack of side exit on the chute. The XL looks to be a lot better but I have not used one of these. We bought a Priefert.

I bought a Powder River XL this spring & so far I really like it. It is much heavier built than the value chute. If you decide to go with the XL, get price quotes from several places. When I checked prices there was a huge differance from dealer to dealer.

I have a Value Chute that I've been using for the past 2 years. I've had no problems working all of my cattle (1200 - 1700 lb. cows and the bull) with the chute. In fairness to some other comments made about it being light duty, it definetly is a lighter duty chute. It works for me since my cattle are not the least bit "wild" to deal with.

rwtherefords":38z9ivtk said:
By the way, the Value Chute II (which I have) does have a side exit.

All the ones we looked at must have not been the II, TSC only had the ones with out a side exit when we looked. That chute must be discontinued as their website only show a value chute I as well as their brochure I have.

rwtherefords":1s3bmakm said:
By the way, the Value Chute II (which I have) does have a side exit.

Mine value chute also has a side exit . Wouldn't buy a chute without it.

Jay

We've been using a Powder River for years that I bought from a seasoned rancher who was retiring...probably 20+ years old (the chute, the rancher is quite a bit older) and works well on our cattle, but then we have some pretty mellow cows. I wouldn't want to put a frightened or pissed off bull into it and we 've had some big steers that were a real tight fit. No plans to buy a newer model...

Latest posts