Anyone ever tried this?

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree, that is why I am not renting out any of the permament pasture just the open ground that is used for annuals. I have too much invested to let go of my grass though at the rent I'm going to receive I have to say its tempting. I'll share crop all the unneeded hay fields with a friend of mine who could use the extra hay. This will be about 800 rolls I won't have to worry about which should give me ample time to go fishing or just screw off. With the exception of pulling up one cross fence, everything will be in place so I can expand when I want and I can use the rented cropland in the winter if I so desire. Basically all I'm doing is regrouping or as someone said today, doing a heavy cull. The remaining herd will be the best of what I have. I just can't pass up an opportunity to double my money. A fella today warned me that I was going to get nailed in taxes. Probably will have to pay a lot but when you consider I have grown essentially tax free wealth over the past few years, I'd expect nothing less than to have to pay. There are a few things I could use that will dampen this but I won't be stupid about it. Maybe a new hay barn. And someone on the board once suggested I buy a new pair of boots. I'll probably do that. And some jeans. I need some jeans. And the rest, well they need those cell phones they truly do. :bang:

and just imagine all the free time you will have to cook, eat, visit and ......drink.

Now I've got to get back to work staring out the window...hooked the cutter up to the tractor yersterday afternoon for the first time since I put it away in 2010 and got it serviced....just before it started to rain 4 inches.....lol...

1982vett":30s6hbx9 said:
and just imagine all the free time you will have to cook, eat, visit and ......drink.

Now I've got to get back to work staring out the window...hooked the cutter up to the tractor yersterday afternoon for the first time since I put it away in 2010 and got it serviced....just before it started to rain 4 inches.....lol...

I bet you'd have done that four years ago had you known it was going to work like that. :lol: :lol:

Hey, are ya'll beginning to come out of the drought you think?

Jogeephus and others...

Paying taxes aren't all that bad. I just use that as a reminder I made some money. Like you I am thinking of minimizing my taxes by also buying a hay storage building of sorts. Land here is too rolling to permit irrigation and I have concluded that I need some hay storage to see me through a drought. I somewhat got caught short in the drought of 2007/2008 and as a consequence it has remained on my mind. I do not need any additional buildings other than for hay storage and I have been trying to make up my mind as to the type. I think that a building with an open side would serve me best as I could access the hay anywhere along the side and rotate the hay based on age. I will be buying the hay and would like to have 600 bales on hand. Your thoughts are appreciated. TIA

agmantoo":z0rh96p5 said:
Jogeephus and others...

Paying taxes aren't all that bad. I just use that as a reminder I made some money. Like you I am thinking of minimizing my taxes by also buying a hay storage building of sorts. Land here is too rolling to permit irrigation and I have concluded that I need some hay storage to see me through a drought. I somewhat got caught short in the drought of 2007/2008 and as a consequence it has remained on my mind. I do not need any additional buildings other than for hay storage and I have been trying to make up my mind as to the type. I think that a building with an open side would serve me best as I could access the hay anywhere along the side and rotate the hay based on age. I will be buying the hay and would like to have 600 bales on hand. Your thoughts are appreciated. TIA
Agmantoo my hay barn is large enough for 2 years worth of hay . It's 40 x 120 x 14 at the eve . I won't sell another bale until its full again . My barn is open on both ends . But I would rather it was a slope roof type with one side open . it would be more handy I could put equipment in it without moving it to get to the hay .

The first year would probably be peanuts then cotton. Peanuts would be good cause I'd get some free hay.

Agman, here is something that might give you some ideas. This is who will build mine. Just scroll through and look at the open sided ones. Lots to choose from.

http://www.tysonsteel.com/portfolio.htm

Jogeephus":1p8jw1mu said:
1982vett":1p8jw1mu said:

I bet you'd have done that four years ago had you known it was going to work like that. :lol: :lol:

Hey, are ya'll beginning to come out of the drought you think?

Jogee...can't really tell we were in a drought with all the rescue grasses and clover we have now. Have gotten about 24 inches of rain since January 1 (19 inches all of last year). I do imagine when Summer shows up it's going to change A Lot! I imagine it's the summer grasses that's going to take the hit.

Jo,

I think you are on the right track. If I had as many irons in the fire as you have I would jump at the chance to make a good chunk of money while reducing my work load at the same time. Besides you will have more time for your meat curing......now I am sure you do a bully good job on those picnics and you have my address :)

Hoss, one day when I get the rest of these shackles off my neck I plan on buying a brand new truck and easing around the country visiting you good folks on CT. You'll be able to see me coming by all the cars that will be backed up behind me blowing their horns and trying to pass me cause when I say ease I mean I'm going to ease. I look forward to pulling up and sharing a cold one with ya'll and critiquing your cattle and my "inspections" will be free of charge cause I think its only right that a person gets what he pays for. :lol:

As promised, I got myself a new pair of boots.

odd.jpg