Anyone Ever Set Concrete Cattle Guards?

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowder,

Give us a picture of the cattleguards. I have considered getting a couple for cross fence gates but hadn't turned loose of the $'s yet. Although I do hate to open internal fence gates.

Nowland Farms":9p6aeukx said:
Crowder,

Give us a picture of the cattleguards. I have considered getting a couple for cross fence gates but hadn't turned loose of the $'s yet. Although I do hate to open internal fence gates.
I'll do that. They are getting delivered here at 6:00A.M. Monday. I'll have to post some pictures.

I understand that you must be able to keep them cleanded out to keep them from filling up with dirt. Lots of folks have them where they can be picked up and moved with a FEL and chain.
Scoop out the washed in dirt and then replace them.

You know this but build a 4 fence out both ways on each end to keep cows from jumping across the ends.

I know a guys who had a big Angus bull which would walk across the cattle guards. Just placed his foot on top of the slats and would walk.

Nowland Farms":1ddcv8zz said:
I understand that you must be able to keep them cleanded out to keep them from filling up with dirt. Lots of folks have them where they can be picked up and moved with a FEL and chain.
Scoop out the washed in dirt and then replace them.

You know this but build a 4 fence out both ways on each end to keep cows from jumping across the ends.

I know a guys who had a big Angus bull which would walk across the cattle guards. Just placed his foot on top of the slats and would walk.
You wont move these with a FEL. They weigh in at 8500 lbs. each.

Don't know the lay of the land where you're placing it, but if it has ditches running along the sides be sure to keep them open. We've got one made with railroad rails and the high side has filled in (our fault) so that now we have to clean that out.

Those cattle guards are FABULOUS! We've got two sets of them, and they are so much nicer than the pipe ones.

We put ours on a concrete "rail", with a graveled ditch underneath.

Dad's got a few, work okay, some jumpers/walkers. His are concrete and were put in when I was about 5 years old. Don't remember much about the install other than we dug the holes by hand. His are rough on car/truck front ends and I can personally vouch that a snow blade on the back of a tractor will fubar one. Friend of mine has some made out of RR ties and a farm I rent has one out of rail. Work good but don't go near it when wet.

cfpinz

CUZ":1grqnrin said:
cfpinz":1grqnrin said:
. . . a farm I rent has one out of rail. Work good but don't go near it when wet.
cfpinz

I'm not getting why you'd stay away from it when it's wet?

Cuz

Wet steel is slicker then snot. No traction. Afoot and you're on your butt with a vehicle a chance of getting stuck.

dun":15h7ehp5 said:
CUZ":15h7ehp5 said:
cfpinz":15h7ehp5 said:
. . . a farm I rent has one out of rail. Work good but don't go near it when wet.
cfpinz

I'm not getting why you'd stay away from it when it's wet?

Cuz

Wet steel is slicker then snot. No traction. Afoot and you're on your butt with a vehicle a chance of getting stuck.

Never occurred to me to Park on top of it. Been driving over it for at least 30 years in all conditions (sunshine, rain, snow, sleet, mud the blood and the beer) (Sorry Johnny Cash's "Boy Named Sue" popped into my head) and never had a problem.

You're right though they can be slicker than snot if the conditions are right.

Cuz

Here's one of em'. Can't believe the gates can stay open now. Good investment.

MVC-010S.jpg

MVC-009S.jpg

MVC-011S.jpg

I like them.

Grandad use to use wood. Those will probably last several life times. Ours are gone now and we have to get out.

Good job. Maybe one day we will get back there.

Wewild":2ybihbsg said:
I like them.

Grandad use to use wood. Those will probably last several life times. Ours are gone now and we have to get out.

Crowder.......I like the guards but I like the hay better! Send me about 40 bales and I'll vote for ya in the next prez election!

HOSS":17n060k5 said:
Wewild":17n060k5 said:
I like them.

Crowder.......I like the guards but I like the hay better! Send me about 40 bales and I'll vote for ya in the next prez election!
Come on up Hoss. We'll have plenty coming next week.Sold every bale we had this week...

Hope you have good luck with them, but they look like they are filling up with dirt pretty fast.

Fred":3pizmk27 said:
Hope you have good luck with them, but they look like they are filling up with dirt pretty fast.
I spilled some dirt backhauling with the FEL. I let the kids dig them out with little trowels.

Crowderfarms":q579btsx said:
Fred":q579btsx said:
I spilled some dirt backhauling with the FEL. I let the kids dig them out with little trowels.

I wouldn't have put it like that. Let me try it. "I let my kids take the trash out". hmmm... That does sound much better. ;-)

Walt