Anyone ever put a knee back in?

Help Support CattleToday:

EAT BEEF

Reaction score
I have a 500lb calf that popped her front knee out,anyone got any good info on putting it back?

I had a calf that dislocated its knee when it was only a couple weeks old. Managed to catch the calf as they were still in the lot for calving. Had one guy hold the calf, one guy hold the upper leg, and one guy grab the lower leg and gave a yank and she popped in. Probably got lucky more than anything.

novaman":39vw5l53 said:
I had a calf that dislocated its knee when it was only a couple weeks old. Managed to catch the calf as they were still in the lot for calving. Had one guy hold the calf, one guy hold the upper leg, and one guy grab the lower leg and gave a yank and she popped in. Probably got lucky more than anything.

Some luck maybe but I think a knee "wants" to go back into place. Simply pulling it and getting it close will make it pop back in.

Jogeephus":mjlb1ej2 said:
novaman":mjlb1ej2 said:

Some luck maybe but I think a knee "wants" to go back into place. Simply pulling it and getting it close will make it pop back in.

A long time ago, I did this regularly to my left knee. Finally one cold day while bird hunting...it went out. I happened when my hunting buddies were way on the other side of this large cornfield. I felt like I would have been to much of a wimp if I had signal them by shooting....so, I sat in a drifted up snow bank for 20 minutes and was soaking wet with sweat, but I got it back in. It was a bit of a chore to do this by yourself. It was then I decided it was time to do something about this.

BTW their technique is correct.

Thanks for the replys,she must have broken something also,because it came thru the skin a little.I got the vet on the phone this morning,he said just to put her in a small stall and give pen for 8-10 days and if I can keep infection out it should turn into a peg leg. :???: He also said he could plate and pin it,but it might cost $1,500-$2,000.

Wife's parents had one a couple years back that got kicked in the knee around a week or so of age. Their vet told them to keep it and it's mother up in a small stall for a month or better, can't remember how long. In the end you couldn't tell it from the others. We had one break it's hock last winter, not sure how but we futzed with it and left it out in the field. Ended up healing straight. Stumpy's going to taste just fine.

EAT BEEF":kujx1evr said:
Thanks for the replys,she must have broken something also,because it came thru the skin a little.I got the vet on the phone this morning,he said just to put her in a small stall and give pen for 8-10 days and if I can keep infection out it should turn into a peg leg. :???: He also said he could plate and pin it,but it might cost $1,500-$2,000.

Heck a bullets so much cheaper.

Latest posts