Anyone ever hear of this!

Help Support CattleToday:

wsrutherford":1tk381yz said:
Breeding heifers back to there Daddy to have a small calf!
Does it work?

Let me ask my wife! :lol: :lol: :shock:

Seriously though, it's not recommended. It's inbreeding. What you would probably end up with is puny weak calves...I suppose that's why somebody told you they would be small.

This is a couple exerpts from some tests that were being conducted years ago. Pay attention to the bottoms:

The eight purchased Polled Hereford foundation females (three of which were the product of sire X daughter matings) were all sired by Numode 2 (4323704). Numode 2, an outcross bull out of Quester's Queen 2 (3545308), was a grandson of Plata Domino 36 (3093731). Additionally, CARF Sears Loboy O10 (6691376), the first sire used in this line, was out of one of the foundation cows (Lomaid D Sal (5265805)) and Numode 2. The Bonanza line, created by mating inbred half-sibs, produced its first calf crop in 1953. A total of 61 calves, with an average inbreeding of 38% were produced over the 12 year period this line was in existence. Five different sires were used before the line was discontinued in 1964 due to the occurrence of dwarfism.

The six Polled Hereford foundation females of the Animas line, purchased from a Nebraska breeder, were the product of mating President Mischief (3030144) to his daughters. The two foundation sires, FLR President Mischief (6392011) and FLR President Mischief 80 (6834047) resulted from similar matings. The initial mating scheme involved the mating of full- and half-sibs. Four calf crops, produced at the station in 1953-55 and 1958, weaned 24 calves with an average inbreeding of 38%. The Animas line was discontinued in 1958 as it became evident that the performance of this line was below that of other lines already in the herd.

Why would you want to do that pay some guy to breed the cow for you and throw him some money it will be better off.

i have heard of people doing this to a few of their heifers to see if the calves exhibited any defects that would indicate the heifers shouldnt be retained. but i wouldnt do it on purpose.

We've had to linebreed a few times in the past when access to another bull wasn't available, but we're very discriminating with the calves and most end up getting shipped when weaned. Not something I'd recommend if you've got the resources to do otherwise, but in a pinch it does have the desired effect of, well, a calf.

I couldn't read any further than what 1848 said about asking his wife!!!! :shock: I have a feeling that he better have the dog take a drink of his ice tea before he does. :lol:

Latest posts