Anyone ever had hernia surgery?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Looks like I will have too but not got to talk to a surgeon yet. Went to a doc in a box late last night in pain and they are suppose to get me into a surgeon. I don't know anyone who has had this surgery so what can I expect?

Right now doc said no lifting, wondered how long after surgery it would be before being able to lift things. Got calves to be fed every day.

you wont be able todo any lifting for 2 or 3wks.so you better have some1 do the lifting for you.

They patched 7 hernias in me back in '94. 6 of them were minor repairs - mostly from all the years in martial arts. One involved the mesh on the lower right. Since I also had an appendectomy at the same time, the doc elected not to do the the lower left until later. 15 years later I still have not had the lower left done and may never unless it is absolutely mandatory. Nothing has ever kicked my tail any worse than that surgery. Too much at once.

Is the surgery outpatient? How long before you can drive afterwards?

tom4018":3oq8qsib said:
Is the surgery outpatient? How long before you can drive afterwards?

My oldest son had it done a few years ago. It was outpatient, so to speak, because hospital stay was not required. It did involve getting put under and several stitches.

He was driving 2 days later, but later said that he should have waited at least a week. You'll need "several" weeks to heal up.

backhoeboogie":1x3ff6rs said:
Nothing has ever kicked my tail any worse than that surgery. Too much at once.

You and me both. I guess it depends on where it is but mine was extremely painful and 2-3 weeks is probably about right. If you toss and turn in your sleep you are in for a ride too. I never knew how many muscles are in the lower part of the body or how often they are used until I had that surgery. But this was a long time ago and they have made a lot of progress in less invasive surgeries so maybe it won't be too bad. Good luck.

Doctors sure don't get in a hurry. Got a appointment with surgeon on the 16th, sitting around doing nothing is boring if I got to have surgery would like to do it and get it over with to be recovering.

Don't know if a hysterectomy and colon cancer surgery count,but from my perspective,it'll take you a solid year to get your strength back fully.. I was driveing 3 weeks after both---Not so much a physical problem as mentaly ready.
Oh............DO NOT COUGH!!!!

Number of years ago I had a serious left inguinal hernia...put off too long...

Day surgery, in and out in 4-5 hours. Couple of years later, had a minor hernia repair on right side. In and out in 4-5 hours.

Both times, general anaesthetic.

Plan on 7 to 10 days of significant recovery, taking it very easy (lift no more than 5-10 lbs max). Then, up to 3 months with probably lifting no more than 15 to 20 lbs. No pushing, pulling stuff. In my case, it wa probably 6 months before I "dared" do some of what I had previously done. Secret to recovery is to "remember" that you have been cut open, and, take those "prescribed" pain killers for several days after your SX.

Nothing to minimize!! IF an inguinal hernia (intestine pushing through area) becomes "kinked" this leads to bowel obstruction and very serious problems very quickly. Get it done...don't put off...

Running Arrow Bill":30dhdjrr said:

Day surgery, in and out in 4-5 hours. Couple of years later, had a minor hernia repair on right side. In and out in 4-5 hours.

Plan on 7 to 10 days of significant recovery, taking it very easy (lift no more than 5-10 lbs max). Then, up to 3 months with probably lifting no more than 15 to 20 lbs. No pushing, pulling stuff. In my case, it wa probably 6 months before I "dared" do some of what I had previously done. Secret to recovery is to "remember" that you have been cut open, and, take those "prescribed" pain killers for several days after your SX.

Nothing to minimize!! IF an inguinal hernia (intestine pushing through area) becomes "kinked" this leads to bowel obstruction and very serious problems very quickly. Get it done...don't put off...

Thanks for the input Bill.

How long from the intial diagnosis until surgery? I went to a doc in the box Monday night because my doctor was out until Wednesday. Thought about seeing him tomorrow for a second opinion. Guess I really need to follow the no lifting requirements before surgery too huh?

My son at 6 had a double abdominal hernia operation . And a 40 year old neighbor had the same operation on the same day. My son was running around in two days and the neighbor was walking funny for weeks- It really made him mad to watch my kid have such an easy time with it.
Get some help in- you are going to need it.

tom4018":2yzrgsok said:
Running Arrow Bill":2yzrgsok said:

Thanks for the input Bill.

How long from the intial diagnosis until surgery? I went to a doc in the box Monday night because my doctor was out until Wednesday. Thought about seeing him tomorrow for a second opinion. Guess I really need to follow the no lifting requirements before surgery too huh?

The major one I was busy with my landscaping and irrigation business. First symptoms, just little discomfort. Put off surgery for ~months or so...intestine would move to scrotum...had to lie on back and "tease" it back in... Also, used a "hernia support" during this time. Got bad enough I went to Doctor...he got me in right away and rad me the riot act!!!

I had the surgery in 1983 and can tell you that it is not plesant. Mine was severe and I was hospitalised for several days. I think the recovery time will depend on several different factors. If you dont rest and give your body time to heal you will only prolong the healing time. Better be real nice to the misses, you will need her help. Good luck.
Tom

kerley":1ok5b55s said:
I had the surgery in 1983 and can tell you that it is not plesant. Mine was severe and I was hospitalised for several days. I think the recovery time will depend on several different factors. If you dont rest and give your body time to heal you will only prolong the healing time. Better be real nice to the misses, you will need her help. Good luck.
Tom

Just hope the misses sticks with me thru this.

Make sure you dont rush the bedroom activites. I did and ruptured a blood vessel. had to go back every other day for about two weeks to have blood drawn off. nothing worse than having a needle stuck in the family jewel.

I had a hiatus hernia repair done a few years back, it was a week in hospital and six weeks recovery period. but my Dad had a groin hernia repair it had become twisted (Strangulated) he was lucky to survive, as the Dr said it could have gone gangrenous and killed his bowel. He was in hospital for a few days and back at work after a month.
If it needs doing have it done and do what they say don't lift anything or stain, 'cause if those muscles tighten up on it, it can be very painful and that is when it can become strangulated. I am told most groin hernias are day patient and done by keyhole surgery now. Good luck and take it easy.

Seen the surgeon yesterday and he tells me I also have a umbilical hernia along with the left inguinal hernia. He was saying the right may also be herniated and would have to check it during surgery. Did all my pre-op today, blood work, ekg and chest x-ray, I guess they want to check you out before they put you under. Surgery is suppose to happen on Tuesday, doc says 4 weeks without lifting.

Jeez Tom. You're gonna be a new man when they get done. :D Seriously, good luck with the surgery and be sure and follow the doctors orders!

tom4018":qxkvv0f4 said:
Seen the surgeon yesterday and he tells me I also have a umbilical hernia along with the left inguinal hernia. He was saying the right may also be herniated and would have to check it during surgery. Did all my pre-op today, blood work, ekg and chest x-ray, I guess they want to check you out before they put you under. Surgery is suppose to happen on Tuesday, doc says 4 weeks without lifting.

They're also going to shave you from your chest to your knees. Keep your business wrapped in a bandanna or else you are going to think you found a cactus garden each time you doze off.

Latest posts