anyone ever been on a run away horse?

Help Support CattleToday:

rngr

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had it happen. Thats probably the biggest fear I have!

You crank one or the other of the reins for all you're worth. It's difficult for a horse to run if he/she is circling. If you don't have that kind of strength, you head 'em for a fence, get a good hold on the saddle horn, and hope you don't part company. Outcome was ok.

Sorry, I misunderstood the 'what happened' part. It can be anything from something spooking them resulting in panic with a green-broke horse, to a spoiled older horse that doesn't want to listen. I've had it happen for a variety of reasons, including all of the above. After you get them under control, you empty your boots, possibly change your underwear, analyze the situation and make corrections. We have a horse that can and will get the bit in her teeth and run away if given the opportunity. The bridle was adjusted and problem solved.

That's what I was wondering, what made the horse run.

The older I get the more "mortal" I realize that I am! 20 years ago this would not have bothered me but the older I get the longer it takes for things to heal!

rngr":su7tmt4r said:
That's what I was wondering, what made the horse run.

The older I get the more "mortal" I realize that I am! 20 years ago this would not have bothered me but the older I get the longer it takes for things to heal!

I absolutely hear you on that one! Amazing how that works, isn't it? :lol:

I totally understand "the older you get the more mortal you feel" mindset.

I had a horse run away with me when I was 16. Friends and I were all riding and decided to race. The horse I was riding wouldn't stop when the race was over and was headed toward a highway, my fear was slipping and falling on the highway, somehow I pulled the horses head to the side slowing him and then baled off just as we reached the highway never letting go of the reins thus bring the horse to a stop. It all happened so fast I didn't have time to do anything but react.

I had a horse step in a hole and fall down with me when I was about 17. I injured my shoulder and couldn't move my arm for over a week. I hid the injury from my dad because he would of sold the horse had he known. He always said a horse is "only good for getting you hurt". I still to this day have a fear of a horse stepping in a hole and falling with me. I don't like to ride in high grass or anywhere I can't see the ground in front of me.

Iwould rather have one run away than be dragged.had a colt fall on his front end then lunged strait up throwing me back off his rear with my right foot hung in the stirrup across on the LH side thank GOD i had the reins he only ran a few feet not before kicking me square in the back. i would have to say being dragged would be at the top of the fear chart :hat:

i think its scary at any age the trick is not to panick and just hold on if you can't stop the horse. it has to stop some where and you've got to be ready for it cause if your too worried about trying to get the horse to stop and it does but more abrudtly than you thought you go flying over it's head.
the only time a horse ever bolted with me on it's back was when it came across a snake in the grass. i was lucky that i was watching careful what i was doing (it was a nervous hoorse so I was paying extra care) otherwise i would have found my self on the floor even befor it had bolted(it reared first) the trouble is if it does bolt out of fear its realy hard to stop then before they're ready.
just best to hold on and go with it. holing the saddle or the main if riding bear back is the best way to stay on. praying helps too. :lol:

A few years ago a horse took off with my cousin who was 19 at the time. The beast took a hard right and through her into a tree which broke her back shattering several of her vertebrae. The Dr. at Scott & white managed to rebuild her spine. Now she is able to walk with a cane but is having problems with her lower joints because she can not walk properly.

As a young teen had a horse take off with me, I just grabbed the horn and reins and went for a ride, didn't know enough to be scared. He slowed and stopped at his corral. Our fault, my cousins and I where taking turns galloping up and down the field roads, were not smart enough to give him a break or water. Did learn the horse had a whole other gear, never could get him back in that gear.

I'm too old for galloping any more canter and trots mostly walking the trails.

Turning the head is the way to get them stopped but it's also can lay them down or cause a wreck, be careful

I also agree with the bigger fear is getting hung up.

Alan

Yeah I guess I kind of lump it all in to one. First having a horse take off on you, then falling off, and finally being drug when your foot hangs in the stirup!

How about those break away stirups you see advertised? That and a whole lot of toilet paper place in stratigic areas! :lol:

When I was a teen, many winters ago, I worked at a stable. :cboy:
However, I never came off a horse, or had one take off with me until I got my own for Christmas one year :D .
Scary! Some fool in a car honked his horn at me :lol: and the horse said
"This ride is over dude! Don't know about you, but I'm going home!" :help: :stop:
What you didn't know horses can talk? Ever hear of Mr. Ed? ;-)
The scary part? going full tilt on a busy road (US 1) on snow and ice (this was in Maine). :oops:

PS I did live through it, though I honestly don't recall if I came off the horse that day or not; that's a different story! The immportant thing?! I finally had my own horses! :D

Guess Im still different than some of you..even at my age. LOl. When a colt tries to run on me I MAKE him run..spur spur spur. thats the best way ive ever found to make them tired of runnin quick...when they try to quit..make em keep going. If your scared grab some leather and put the spurs to him..once they figure out that trying to run means there expected to run they get tired of it real quick. It also helps you get over being scared. Dont worry..it gets easier ever time. LOL

If you dont do that pullin the head around like others say is the only other way out..but like alan said its a little risky. When I do that i kick out of my stirrup on the off side...example...pull his head hard to the right kick out on your left because thats the way hes going to fall

the good thing about riding bear back is that you don't have the worry of the horse bolting and you coming of but getting your foot trapped.

rngr":1w4b9ve7 said:
'

....and the harder that ground seems to get too!! So funny! I was just talking to a friend who is a couple of years older than me about this very thing the other day! About how we never even thought of coming off a horse or getting hurt when we were kids, but at our ages now, we really like the older horses who are more settled and don't take any rodeoing when you get on....aaahhhh, Youth!

Tape is right.....making running off an unpleasant experience for them is a great way to teach them that its not acceptable to take off.....for the next time, and it would be a good idea to know the ground you're running them on. If you've just got to stop them, then turning their head is the best way, only I tend to do it very slowly for Alan's reason......I'm not too crazy about hitting the ground, but hitting it with them on top of me is definitely not on my list of "want to do's". Sorry MSSCAMP, running a horse at a fence isn't a choice I would make simply because their either gonna go over it, stop at it and unload me into the fence, make a sharp turn either right or left (direction unknown until you're up on the fence) and unload me into it, or hit it. Seen too many hit the fence and either flip over it or die. Yup, die. Had a friend who was working a cutting horse colt in an arena (of all places) and the dern thing bolted and ran right into the gate and dropped over dead on top of her. Of course the flipping over the fence ones looked pretty scary too. Back to my point of not really wanting to hit the ground, and certainly not wanting them to land on top of me.

I agree TR, I was on a horse that bolted and headed strait for a bard wire fence. I couldn't for the life of me stop or turn him. He turned on a dime at full speed right up on that darn fence. That was one of my not-so-pretty days. :lol:

rngr":2361xh5c said:
Just wondering if anyone has had it happen. Thats probably the biggest fear I have!

If you haven't had it happen...I'd say you haven't ridden enough. :lol: Same goes for falling off. I've had horses run away with me, buck me off, fall while I was riding, kick me, you name it, it probably happened at one point or another. LOL.

TR":tbef55vi said:
rngr":tbef55vi said:
'

Sorry MSSCAMP, running a horse at a fence isn't a choice I would make simply because their either gonna go over it, stop at it and unload me into the fence, make a sharp turn either right or left (direction unknown until you're up on the fence) and unload me into it, or hit it. Seen too many hit the fence and either flip over it or die. Yup, die. Had a friend who was working a cutting horse colt in an arena (of all places) and the dern thing bolted and ran right into the gate and dropped over dead on top of her. Of course the flipping over the fence ones looked pretty scary too.

No problem. I have never had one do that, nor seen one do it so I didn't think of that possibility. :oops:

Latest posts