Anyone else have stones?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nice roller and tractor. Leaves a nice seed bed and looks like a great field to work in. Not many Fendts running around here.

Here we have picked them up our whole life. Bedded a few roads with them.
It's safe to say some people wasted a lifetime of summers picking stones by hand around here. The first farm quarter I bought has a 20 acre field on it. Previous owner told me his grandfather was given the quarter for service in WW1. There's 3 piles 6-8' high with a footprint of a fair sized house on the edge of that field.

That's A LOT of baby rocks. Most of the ones I pick up are like half a valley ball. I chisel plowed a piece of ground last fall that I rented for the first time. I swear it grew a crop of rocks over night.

@Rydero That's my go to method for dealing with rocks. My roller is similar also. I pick the ones that I know are too big to be pushed down and roll the rest. I am fortunate though that most of my acres are valley bottom with no rocks. But as the land rises away from the valley bottoms the rock start showing up.

I don't even know what to say about that. 😯😲 I just realized we are blessed for our "pebbles". Thanks for sharing. Never realized a person could be blessed on the size rocks they have. 😆 Not to say we don't have other problems somewhere else.

These are from a single post hole I dug while rebuilding the corral. Dug the holes with an excavator. There were rocks that came out of some of the hole that wouldn't fit into a 20 inch bucket. You don't put a plow into the ground here.

Attachments

• P5271983.JPG
    P5271983.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 24
A bit of trivia. Around here some areas have stones and some don't. Talking to another old timer who said he heard from his grandmother when they homesteaded etc. they looked for areas with stones, Stones were necessary for foundations, chimneys, cellars etc. Times have changed. We were to the Ayran Islands a few years ago. Yes you can have too much of a good thing. farmguy

@Dave, you definitely do. Your pic of what came out of that hole reminds me of when my brother in law moved to my area. He's a small contractor and got hired to move the sign for the local hotel. He called and said he was going to dig 4 hydro poles in the ground to do so and I asked who was coming to dig the holes? "Going to dig them by hand" he said. "No you're not", he gave up quickly and got permission to use some poles already in the ground close by, lol. My hat's off to you putting anything in the ground where you are...

A bit of trivia. Around here some areas have stones and some don't. Talking to another old timer who said he heard from his grandmother when they homesteaded etc. they looked for areas with stones, Stones were necessary for foundations, chimneys, cellars etc. Times have changed. We were to the Ayran Islands a few years ago. Yes you can have too much of a good thing. farmguy

Kind of the same here (SW MO), but we have a lot more rocky ground than clean. Mostly big shale rock and limestone.

Nice roller and tractor. Leaves a nice seed bed and looks like a great field to work in. Not many Fendts running around here.
Love the Fendt. There's very few around here besides the ones the custom chopping guys bring through. I was lucky enough to find mine this winter well used from a grain operation where it had a gentle life. Decided to buy a little older with more hours in order to get a (hopefully) superior tractor. Fast, good on fuel and nothing to speak of going wrong so far. The Vario trans takes a few minutes to get used to but once I got on to it I wouldn't want anything else. Hopefully I have 7 or 8 years to scheme a way to buy.another.

Latest posts