anyone care to make a guess on this calf's breed? (pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks like the calf is carrying Brahman and Angus breeding. I wouldn't say a 50-50 cross. It's carrying a higher percentage of Angus blood.

milkmaid":ow21ej5r said:
Well I was hoping it wouldn't be quite so obvious. :lol: His dam is a Brown Swiss/Holstein cross, sire Angus bull that jumped the fence.

So.... one question: does he really look half-dairy, or were you biased when you opened the thread, knowing most of my calves are Holstein? :p

:lol:

I actually thought pure Holstein originally. He looks dairy.

Ya'll can quit guessing. The milkmaid already posted the correct answer.
Here it is.

milkmaid":3uvog4yn said:
Well I was hoping it wouldn't be quite so obvious. :lol: His dam is a Brown Swiss/Holstein cross, sire Angus bull that jumped the fence.

So.... one question: does he really look half-dairy, or were you biased when you opened the thread, knowing most of my calves are Holstein? :p

The other three on that cow are holstein/angus. I probably won't sell them until spring, but I was hoping they'd pass for straight beef - they'd sell a little better that way. :lol:

milkmaid":35c7cntz said:

The other three on that cow are holstein/angus. I probably won't sell them until spring, but I was hoping they'd pass for straight beef - they'd sell a little better that way. :lol:

if you start shoving grain down his mouth and get him eating so that he turns beef instead of getting framey and lanky like a holstein. but yes you can tell that he's half dairy as of now. Your gunna have to pump the feed into him to change that appearance.

Those beef dairy crosses look less beefy as they get older.
At 500 lbs. and fat, they look good and the discount is less. Keep them longer and they show more dairy type.
I once had a herd of Jerseys and Jersey crosses bred to a Charolais bull. They sold good if sold early. Kept too long and they got discounted almost like a Holstien.

Pumping the grain will make him look like a fatter dairy cross, not like a beef calf. How to make him look less dairy? Short of selling him in small cold packages, you can't get there from here.

Latest posts