anyone built a bridge?

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig Miller":3ji0kfll said:
Silver":3ji0kfll said:
Craig Miller":3ji0kfll said:
A 16x80 weighs in at about 50k i think plus all the furniture and such thats comes with them usually. Ever seen those homes with 5 axles under them? Those are 15k axles.

You might be quite right, I'm really not very familiar with them. I would have assumed that they are designed to be set on blocks or pilings spaced close together to support the weight, and that the home would also provide some of the strength.

You are correct in that thought but they also have to be strong enough to be hauled half way across the country without falling to pieces. The railcar I have no doubt would be stronger. But I still say it would be easier and cheaper to work on entry and exit

That would be my inclination as well. Especially considering the resident limestone.

Silver" I can't imaging a mobile home frame having much of a rating. Is this bridge for cars and light trucks only?[/quote said:
The old 'mobile' home frames were not very strong. I've demolished several older mobile homes, and once the walls and flooring was removed, you had to be very careful moving them. Very thin steel, with the web of the H beams not much more than 1/8" thick, not very tall, and the whole thing would easily bend and twist. Designed to have vertical supports very close together.
Newer ones may be better but the old ones were good for nothing but cutting up and hauling to the scrap iron dealer. Might have been ok for a foot bridge or for cattle to walk across, but I sure wouldn't have trusted any of the ones I tore down to drive a pickup or tractor over.

greybeard":3puxjdvc said:
Silver" I can't imaging a mobile home frame having much of a rating. Is this bridge for cars and light trucks only?[/quote:3puxjdvc said:
The old 'mobile' home frames were not very strong. I've demolished several older mobile homes, and once the walls and flooring was removed, you had to be very careful moving them. Very thin steel, with the web of the H beams not much more than 1/8" thick, not very tall, and the whole thing would easily bend and twist. Designed to have vertical supports very close together.
Newer ones may be better but the old ones were good for nothing but cutting up and hauling to the scrap iron dealer. Might have been ok for a foot bridge or for cattle to walk across, but I sure wouldn't have trusted any of the ones I tore down to drive a pickup or tractor over.
........Those trailers are designed to get from point A to B.. Only exception is around here,, Where there is multiple point B's...

ALACOWMAN":ydc20llv said:
greybeard":ydc20llv said:
Silver":ydc20llv said:
I can't imaging a mobile home frame having much of a rating. Is this bridge for cars and light trucks only?
........Those trailers are designed to get from point A to B.. Only exception is around here,, Where there is multiple point B's...

Yep, when ya get evicted from one trailer park, then another, and another, or it repossessed several times, the point designators get pretty deep into the alphabet...

Like the others said, reslope the sides. I had a similar situation on my last farm. Have a dozer come in to cut them out and use the weight of his machine to pack in some baseball size rocks where you need it along the in and out slope. You may have to add some more in a few years. Two things will occasionally happen when you get a big rain.
1. Silt will wash up in the cutouts. On my old place, it was worse when the fields upstream from me were freshly plowed.
2. The cutouts will fill with flotsam & jetsam. On my old place, the creek crossed a gravel road about two miles up stream. For many years people have thrown trash off the bridge. It collected in the cutouts. It always amazed me some of the stuff that I would find and how many years it took to move the two miles down stream.

Thanks for all the replies!
1) My neighbor has a 40 ft railcar frame bridge across the same creek-solid as a rock and semis cross it occas without problem.
2) Talked last night w/ an engineering friend and showed him pictures of the crossing. He thinks a low water crossing w/ culverts and a cement cap would be best bang-for-buck (like the ones you posted).