anyone bought a life estate?

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":1qbv9d5p said:
ddd75":1qbv9d5p said:
for farm use?

Used to be lots of 99 year tenant leases here. Basically the same thing on a smaller scale of 80 acres of timber company land.

I ended up buying 150 acres from 4 life estates ~ ages 62 - 68

I get full use / rents from all the ground, houses, etc. I own the property until they all die. I now have 13 grandchildren to purchase remainderman interests from. 8 are willing to sell now.

Sort of the other way around. When the wife bought this place she gave to two old gals (84 & 80) a life time estate to continue living here. So we own the place but the old gals live in the house and have use of the barn and half the pasture (9 Llamas & 4 donkeys) as long as they stay here. Once they pass away or move out we have full control.
So in the mean time we are in a single wide on the property (just until we get something else bought) and we have control of half the pasture. She bought the place before we got married and got a heck of a deal based on giving the old gals the life estate. We plan to keep it and when we decide to seriously retire retire we will move back here.

Dave":3f901c3k said:
Sort of the other way around. When the wife bought this place she gave to two old gals (84 & 80) a life time estate to continue living here. So we own the place but the old gals live in the house and have use of the barn and half the pasture (9 Llamas & 4 donkeys) as long as they stay here. Once they pass away or move out we have full control.
So in the mean time we are in a single wide on the property (just until we get something else bought) and we have control of half the pasture. She bought the place before we got married and got a heck of a deal based on giving the old gals the life estate. We plan to keep it and when we decide to seriously retire retire we will move back here.
Guess I'm behind the times too Dave. In the past a life estate was something someone retained for themselves when they SOLD property. Once they expired it expired. Use to be fairly common and may still be to deed property to children with parents retaining a life estate.

Latest posts