Anybody with a Calf weight tape handy??

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkieman

Reaction score
We had a heifer calf this morning and she was about 8 days early. She is a SAF Directive daughter. She looks small and her leg measured about 5". I tried to pick a tape up at TSC, but they were out. Guess I'll have to order one online.

Thanks

Arkieman":1jtu0cm9 said:
We had a heifer calf this morning and she was about 8 days early. She is a SAF Directive daughter. She looks small and her leg measured about 5". I tried to pick a tape up at TSC, but they were out. Guess I'll have to order one online.

Thanks

Well, the smallest mine goes to is 5.6" and that is 40 lbs. Maybe want to measure her again, unless you really think she is that small.

Well crap - maybe I measured her in the wrong place. Where are you supposed to measure?

Arkieman":cxnuwben said:
Well crap - maybe I measured her in the wrong place. Where are you supposed to measure?

Around the coronet band of the hoof (where the hair meets the hoof) Pull firmly, but not tightly to get an accurate reading.

randiliana":1u7taf7o said:
Arkieman":1u7taf7o said:

Around the coronet band of the hoof (where the hair meets the hoof) Pull firmly, but not tightly to get an accurate reading.

Yep, I measured wrong!! Thanks so much!

randiliana":1bqqxosa said:

Or put it on a scale if you really want an accurate reading. ;-)

I wish I had one (a scale). Don't even have a bathroom scale - wife won't allow it ;-)

lakading":kkek49p7 said:
randiliana":kkek49p7 said:

Or put it on a scale if you really want an accurate reading. ;-)

I agree with you lakading, but in a pinch the tape will give you a reasonable estimate.

Arkieman, I wondered about that when I looked at my tape, takes a pretty small calf to be 40 lbs ;-) . Get another reading and I will let you know (my tape is in cm's)

Latest posts