Anybody using Senepol?

Help Support CattleToday:

brandonm_13

Reaction score
The more I read about this breed, the better looking it gets. Also, if you have pictures, I would like to see them.

brandonm_13":3rfr36wh said:
The more I read about this breed, the better looking it gets. Also, if you have pictures, I would like to see them.

About ten years ago the KERR CENTER FOR SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE was using them in a crossbreeding program with Angus. They were very high on them at the time. About the same time, we heard the manger of a large ranch in FL praise them and say he was going to convert the entire cowherd to Senepol. But I don't think it ever happened.

Here's a link to the Kerr website. You might contact someone there and see if they still use Senepol and, if not, why not.

http://www.kerrcenter.com/

Ask buyers in your area about Senepol's. Most order buyers will not even buy them. Too slick haired. They do very well in hot weather but not good in cold.
Dr. Edwin Robertson in Harrogate TN has worked extensively with them, selling semen, doing transplant work, ect. I think even some for the President of Mexico. Odd thing is he no longer has any on his farm. Has good angus instead.

Most buyers in our area dont' even know what a Senepol looks like.

I checked on the Kerr Center. Looks like they are running Senepol-Angus cross cattle. Bent tree farms created the South Poll breed from Senepol, hereford, Red Angus, and Barzona. I was thinking of something along the lines of a Senepol-Hereford-Limousin cross.

Latest posts