Anybody use darts to syncronize cows.

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I was wondering if anybody has tried this or know anything about it. I was told by an AI tech this is what the big timers use and it works very well. I tried lutylise it didnt work very good.

If lytalyse isn't administered at the right time it won't do much good. I know of one herd that has used darts for all their synch. injections. It seemed to me that the cows got got more shock up from that then if the went through a chute and it took nearly as long. They couldn't get conceptions using AI so they quit and now just run bulls.

dunmovin farms

> I was wondering if anybody has
> tried this or know anything about
> it. I was told by an AI tech this
> is what the big timers use and it
> works very well. I tried lutylise
> it didnt work very good.

> If lytalyse isn't administered at
> the right time it won't do much
> good. I know of one herd that has
> used darts for all their synch.
> injections. It seemed to me that
> the cows got got more shock up
> from that then if the went through
> a chute and it took nearly as
> long. They couldn't get
> conceptions using AI so they quit
> and now just run bulls.

> dunmovin farms

I should have elaborated, sorry. It's a very new way to syncro not yet approved for use in the USA that I know. It is used a lot in Europe I'm told. Basically a person inserts a (dart) tampon looking thing into the vagina and then administer an injection the first day then wait seven days pull it out then give another shot, wait one day then half of a cc of another shot then the next morning everything and I mean everything is in standing heat. The AI tech I talked to said he just did this on 60 cows, and AI'd all in the evening. Supposedly a lot of big timers are doing this and have had high success rates. I was just wondering if anybody has heard of this or done it. I may be a little off on some of the seqence, he just briefly informed me about it. Because of my lack of sucess with the lutylace.

There is a product produced by Vetrepharm, marketed by Pharmacia/Upjohn called a CIDR which is a pessiary, as you describe, which contains hormones which are supplemented by injection(s) for synchronizing cattle and has very good results. There are a few different programs available with it. It is available in the US as EasyBreed Cidr, and the info is found at <A HREF="http://www.cidr.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.cidr.com</A> or <A HREF="http://www.cidranimalhealth.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.cidranimalhealth.com</A>

Hello,

I do believe they are ONLY called CIDR's, we have been using them for the past 5 years and they work great if you have a good AI Person, or a good Tech to transfer embryos, we use them for both.

We usually get 90+ % and have seen an increase in the number of heifers vrsus bulls. I have only had trouble when semen was poor quality or the tech doing the work was slip shod.

I recommend the CIDR's highly and use Lutalyse at the time of CIDR removal on day 7, always in the PM, followed by a 5mg EstradiolBenzoate shot 24 hours later, all cattle will be in heat in the AM and bred that PM. This is considered a fixed time breeding system. Check all semen under a scope before using, at least one staw per new bull if it is semen you have not used before, or you will have a reck, I know, it has happened to me, even from a reputable semen processing firm! Check It! Check It! Check It! It will save valuable time and $$$$$$

Try them, you will be impressed with the results!

[email protected]

> Hello,

> I do believe they are ONLY called
> CIDR's, we have been using them
> for the past 5 years and they work
> great if you have a good AI
> Person, or a good Tech to transfer
> embryos, we use them for both.

> We usually get 90+ % and have seen
> an increase in the number of
> heifers vrsus bulls. I have only
> had trouble when semen was poor
> quality or the tech doing the work
> was slip shod.

> I recommend the CIDR's highly and
> use Lutalyse at the time of CIDR
> removal on day 7, always in the
> PM, followed by a 5mg
> EstradiolBenzoate shot 24 hours
> later, all cattle will be in heat
> in the AM and bred that PM. This
> is considered a fixed time
> breeding system. Check all semen
> under a scope before using, at
> least one staw per new bull if it
> is semen you have not used before,
> or you will have a reck, I know,
> it has happened to me, even from a
> reputable semen processing firm!
> Check It! Check It! Check It! It
> will save valuable time and $$$$$$

> Try them, you will be impressed
> with the results!

Thank You for responding, I talked with my AI Tech again and he said it works exactly like you said. I do have another question for you, you said you had an increase in heifers than bull calves. How is that? That would be the ideal thing for me, I am building my reg. herd so I would be keeping all the good ones for several years, I didn't know there was a way that you could raise your chances of one sex over the other. Thanks again for talking with me.

Latest posts