Anybody use Curtail®?

Help Support CattleToday:

blackcowz

Reaction score
I found that Curtail® controls knapweed and thistle very effectively, along with taking out other perennial weeds. Has anyone used this product? It was the least concerning of recommended sprays in terms of drift. It also said only one reapplication might be necessary to prevent seedlings from coming back, where as other products recommended two or three reapplications in order to make sure knapweed seedlings were killed. My only concern is that I believe you have to wait 18 months to seed in alfalfa, clover, and other nitrogen fixing legumes. It kills most types of clover, and my concern is loosing natural nitrogen in the ground. The grasses out here aren't necessarily big on needing nitrogen, and we don't have a lot of clover, but this is one concern. Also, since I don't have a bottle of it, what are the grazing restrictions on this stuff? It says to spray before weeds get 3 inches tall, so early spring. But around May is when cows will be getting on to pasture. Thanks for any info you can provide.

The legume control component of Curtail and Forefront, Milestone, and Tordon is why I had to stick with just plain old 2,4 D Ester for Knappweed control. I was satisfied with using 2 pints per acre each spring on highly infested fields. I have also had great control on thistle but I have seen others post that they have had hard time controlling thistle with 2,4 D, not sure if they are using amine or Ester. The Ester is priced real cheap also so that was another plus eventhough those other products have residual control.

hayray":23zkikbv said:
The legume control component of Curtail and Forefront, Milestone, and Tordon is why I had to stick with just plain old 2,4 D Ester for Knappweed control. I was satisfied with using 2 pints per acre each spring on highly infested fields. I have also had great control on thistle but I have seen others post that they have had hard time controlling thistle with 2,4 D, not sure if they are using amine or Ester. The Ester is priced real cheap also so that was another plus eventhough those other products have residual control.
Thanks hayray. Like I said, I may have to give something else a try. I guess I'll take some advice and get on the horn with my extension agent and get something figured out.

I use Curtail to spray Canada Thistle. Works very good but I'm only spot-spraying so I have no concerns about killing desirable vegetation. As for 2-4,D I have very little use for it. We used to use it for everything but have found it to be far less effective than we like to see. Yes it is cheap but in this case it seems you get what you pay for.

Latest posts