Anybody judge any shows?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
It's not my favorite thing, but I will occasionally get called to judge. Usually during fair season. I judged a sheep show last night. Just wondered if anybody else does it? I enjoy giving my reasoning for some odd reason. I usually judge a class fairly quickly, and then talk too long. I also judge several rodeos in a years time, but refuse to do horse shows, other than the speed events.

I'm about in the same boat as you Troy... I will occasionally get called up to judge cattle during fair season. It is fun, and I too enjoy giving my reasons for why I decide what I do.

My daughter did last weekend, at 20 it was her first one. She had to judge lambs, goats (meat and dairy) cattle (beef and dairy) and hogs. She had a fun day, and loved it! She won the State Livestock Judging contest when she was in FFA her senior year, her team was second overall so they got to judge at the American Royal.
I have been asked, but it is a conflict of interest for me, since I am the junior advisor for Simmental in the state of Missouri. I will ALWAYS have some of my junior members showing at just about any show.

I judge a few, and I really enjoy doing it. Used to do more, but I too turn down most of them anymore, because I serve on the board of a financial institution. Outside of our territory is fine, but I won't judge one inside it - that's not a rule, just my personal feelings. i don't even know most of our customers, much less their kids or grandkids, and it wouldn't affect my placings if I did, but conflict of interest is a very big deal.

I don't think my experience level would allow me to. What can you tell me about showing sheep though? We have two 4h lambs right now.

Craig Miller":1cwn8xaa said:
I don't think my experience level would allow me to. What can you tell me about showing sheep though? We have two 4h lambs right now.

YouTube actually has some helpful videos. You might see if your county agent could set up a mock show before you hit the circuit.

Both my mom and sister judge stock shows. Mostly small regional shows and county fairs.They both also lead many clinics and even host some. As many said, avoiding conflict of interest is the main thing....although that will get harder for in just a couple of years since my daughter is 3 1/2 and can already brace a goat weather and set up a calf!

Bigfoot, If you think you are talking too long, you are probably doing a great job! I detest judges that can't put reasons to their choices. Its easy to argue a judge's placings if he doesn't bother to give good reasons in the first place, harder to do if he/she can give a good talk on it. And in most cases, its a teaching moment anyways. Make the kids earn it, then show them how they could do even better. Also, stick to a type. Judges that are all over the place on the type of steer/weather/barrow they like are a sure fire way to piss off everyone. Also, it demolishes the idea of having the younger/inexperienced kids watch the senior groups show to gain insight. Be consistant!

I have judged several fairs. I really enjoy it. Great opportunity to pass knowledge and advice onto the next generation. Love seeing kids who put in the extra effort succeed. However, I will only judge cattle shows. I know my limitations and I know my expertise is pretty much solely in the cattle department haha. With the amount of time and money these families have invested in their projects, the deserve a fair evaluation by someone with extensive knowledge in their species.

Latest posts