Anybody grouse hunt?

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
Season opens Sept 1st. :D :D
p10101142.jpg

p10102322.jpg

Shot some sharptails year before last in SD. The guy I went with called them "Flying Carp" because of the dark meat.

They got up pretty fast for their size.

I though they were good though. The Hungarian partridge and pheasants were a hoot too.

Is that model 12 in the pic?

Mike, The young Sharptails I think are very tasty, tender. But the old ones :shock: :help:

That is my first shotgun, bought it with trapping money back in 63. I've tried many shotguns since. Still like it and use it often.
A model 500 Mossberg with a full choke. Just seems to fit me.
I wonder how many rounds it has fired.

That's one of the things I like about Sharp tail hunting, no body does it. Great game birds, plump and easy flushers. After being shot at a couple times REAL easy flushers :eek:

No kidding, When I go out in mid Sept. I'll take this trail back in about 40 miles. I won't see a single hunter for the 4 days I'm in there.

Range cattle and a couple ranchers checking them. Part of the fun I've sat and jawed for hours with these old hands 8) MAN is that interesting stuff these folks talk about. :D

Haven't seen a grouse around here in years. Too much cover has been lost to developments, etc. I did hear a quail last week - just about scared me to death - it's been years since I've heard one.

When i'm out checking cattle , scouting geese or deer i hunt uplanders. Sharpies, huns and bush chickens(ruffed grouse) my preference is bush chickens they are pretty slow and good for beginners and they are all white meat like a domestic bird. Second is young sharpies then huns they just don't yeild enough. But i like every part of hunting from the stalk to eating the rewards of the work. All are pretty easy to find in my area. In an afternoon if you know where to go you can get your limit of each. But i have never used a dog that would make it too easy.

Lucky you for having grouse. I used to love listening to them drum as a kid, but I haven't heard one in years.

No sharptails, only ruffed, spruce, blue and in the area similar to thep ictures, sage grouse. For the sheer enjoyment of the hunting scenery it's sage all the way, for eating it's ruffed. But they're all good on the table.

skcatlman":1pzkzy5o said:
When i'm out checking cattle , scouting geese or deer i hunt uplanders. Sharpies, huns and bush chickens(ruffed grouse) my preference is bush chickens they are pretty slow and good for beginners and they are all white meat like a domestic bird. Second is young sharpies then huns they just don't yeild enough. But i like every part of hunting from the stalk to eating the rewards of the work. All are pretty easy to find in my area. In an afternoon if you know where to go you can get your limit of each. But i have never used a dog that would make it too easy.

The above pics were taken about 10 miles from Saskatchewan, just South of Grasslands National Park. There are also huns and a few Sage Grouse.

Partridge hunting leading up to deer hunting. Things have to be pretty bad for ya not to be having a good time in the fall.

- HOWEVER - I would like to lodge a complaint about them bursting out of cover 10 feet from me while I am "quietly" entering or exiting the woods! :lol:

No need to send me to the hospital for a stress test this year Doc, I got her in the woods! One thing to be hunting them, another to be hunting something else and have them flush!

Great eating.

How do you all field dress the bird?

ALX

P.S. - Mike - I have an old model 12 as well. They don't make em like that anymore. :lol:

Outrigger2, Thanks :D Do you watch NFL :?: Vikings and Falcons
opening weekend :help:

A-L-X I skin while fresh, gut, and cool them down in cold water.

Can't say I've ever seen one, just could make them out by the dogs. Sounds like they'd be fun to hunt. What's the limit? Do they run from you or just sit still till you get on top of them?

Sharptails are open country, grasslands grouse about the size of a pheasant. Where I hunt Sharpies aren't used to humans, and at first are in large groups from say 50 to 100 or more. Sometimes you have look awhile to find a flock. But when you do the fun begins, they flush wild and in every direction. Then you go after the singles and doubles with the dogs. They sometimes hold pretty tight, but my dogs are flushers. Once the birds are shot at a couple times they become almost impossible to hunt they'll flush out of range every time. The limit is 4 a day 12 possession.

I have #6 low base in the chamber and the next, then # 4 heavy loads. I use a full choke 12 gauge [mostly] It's not unusual for me to miss the first couple shots then settle down and dust the grouse with the #4 when he's out there a ways. :D :D

Latest posts